+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do i make the first contact?

How do i make the first contact?

Hi, this is my first post. I know it is a little long, but please read it all the way through. I would really appreciate if you do so, since this is a very important matter to me.

To make some things clear first:
    I'm 17 years old, live in Denmark and i am in what is called 2.G in a Gymnasium (i have NO idea what that equals in the American school system :-S )
    A normal gymnasium in DK consist of the classes for each year: 1.G, 2.G and 3.G.
    Each of these are divided into 6 classes with the letters from A to F
    I'm in 2.C - The "nerd-class" which mostly focuses on mathematics, chemistry and physics or biology.
    In the first week of a new school-year there are some different activities to make the new 1.G's feel welcome. One of them is "Les Lanciers" (check wikipedia)
    Here's where my problem starts.

When i started in 1.G and danced "Les Lanciers" i didn't have a partner of the female sex which was required to do this dance, so i was teamed up with a girl who didn't have a partner either.
    Aside from looking like an idiot as everyone else around me, I screwed up in another way too.
    Having little experience with both the female sex and dancing, a thousand things was running through my mind while i tried not to screw up this very difficult dance, and therefore even though I felt some attraction to my dancing partner, I never even thought about actually talking with her in the breaks between the dances or such, to get to know her better. (Also I was a pretty shy person at that time, but I have improved a little on that area since then :-) )
    Now as I wrote earlier, I'm halfway through 2.G and as you might guess, I still haven't made a move.

This is quite a dilemma for me now, 1½ year later, because the only thing I know about her is her name and that she goes in 2.A now (which focuses on drama, english and music) and as time has passed, I am still felling attracted to her (if not more) but now I don't know how make contact. She probably doesn't even remember me :-(

If I could just make contact with her somehow so that we could get to know each others I'm sure I would be able to handle the rest, but i just don't know how to do that. Also, because I only know how she looks, I would really like to know how her personality is, so that I'm sure that it isn't just her appearance that attracts me.

I tried talking with one of my best friends in my class, as he seemed to be pretty experienced at relationships judging by the enormous amount of girls he knows on the gymnasium (almost every time I have a talk with him outside the class, he runs off after 2 minutes or so to say hello to some girl he knows)
    He didn't have many ideas and what he actually had to offer didn't make sense to me (apparently he has a rather original method of making contact with girls/women, but it seems to work like a charm for him X-D )

I'm hoping some of you more experience people here might be of some help for me.
    Especially the girls/women. Imagine if a guy you hardly know was to make contact with you, what would be the most comfortable way for that to happen to you?
    I mean, if some random guy suddenly says hello to you or says your name, you might get a little uncomfortable, right?
    (btw, that was one of the things my friend suggested me to do X-D )

This may all sound pretty weird to you, but being danish I'm not used to express things like this in English so things may come out the wrong way. Please ask if something I wrote looks a bit weird written. Also, I hope you didn't fall asleep while reading all of this X-D
    Last edited by PhillipDK; 30-12-08 at 03:34 AM. Reason: I felt I needed to introduce my post more properly

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipDK View Post
    Imagine if a guy you hardly know was to make contact with you, what would be the most comfortable way for that to happen to you?
    I mean, if some random guy suddenly says hello to you or says your name, you might get a little uncomfortable, right?
    (btw, that was one of the things my friend suggested me to do X-D )
    Know that you are not some random guy. You go to the same school and have seen each other numerous times. The only reason you guys don't talk is because you have gotten into the habit of not talking to these girls. You need to break the habit and break the silence. Saying hello is a great way to break the silence. From there make small talk about anything at all.

I don't know how things are in the US, but here there isn't really a close connection between the different classes here in Denmark. I only see her when she is in the canteen, and even so I've only noticed her being there about 10-20 times in 1½ year.

So I'd say, if I'm not a complete stranger, I'm at least close to being it...
    Last edited by PhillipDK; 30-12-08 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Something didn't sound right...

I hope you haven't missed your window of opportunity. Sometimes you can get stuck in the "friend zone" if you don't make a move in time.

Question: what if you asked her out and she turned you down? Are you willing to risk that?
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I hope you haven't missed your window of opportunity. Sometimes you can get stuck in the "friend zone" if you don't make a move in time.
    The problem right now is that I'm not even IN the friend zone, that's where I'm trying to get in for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Question: what if you asked her out and she turned you down? Are you willing to risk that?
    Well, if I was in the friend zone, then I probably wouldn't have trouble asking her out, and if she turns me down I guess I'm willing to accept that at that time.

Hey phillip, my post still stands. You are not a random guy to this girl. You are a boy that goes to her same school and she has seen numerous times.

You guys have been in different social circles, but that is never a good excuse not to talk to a girl. Be someone who transcends those imaginary boundaries. Basically just go up and talk to her. Or if she is with her friends go up and talk to her and her friends. Find out what she likes then ask her if she wants to go do that. She may say no, but thats life. You will get over her if she says no.

I don't know.. I just don't think that will work. I mean, I would find it a little weird if someone from one of the other classes just came over and talked to me, if it isn't someone I already know.

Build a space ship capable of Warp 1 out of an old ICBM, launch it from Montana with Geordi and Riker on board riding shotgun. Oh, and beware the Borg.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Was that supposed to be funny?