+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writer's Block

Writer's Block

So, Ive got 2 7 page research papers due tomorrow. I'm currently working on the cosmetology paper. Any input? It's hard finding 7 full pages worth of info on cosmetology, or at least on Wiki.

Even sites with info would be great.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do you have access to any periodical databases? I always used those for my research papers. You can find tons of info from creditable sources on any topic you can dream of.

Be very, very careful using Wiki. Professors automatically dislike wikis and for good reason. Anyone can post anything they want as fact. I think it's a great resource but you've really got to be careful.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Yea I heard that about wikipedia, and you can edit it and write what the hell you want. Idk about the database thing, you know a site for those things? Are they even ON sites? lol

I feel etchy using wiki, but its the only site I really know about, seeing as Im not always having to do research work.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Wikipedia leads you to more credible sources when there are footnotes (which usually contain links to websites, or text sources you could easily find in the library)

Sorry I have no idea what direction to point you in. I know very little about cosmetology.

Ok...the other paper is on technology...more so game consoles...

If you ****ers cant help me with that one I wouldnt believe you.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Write something about the lead poisoning that Japanese Geisha's experienced b/c of the white face colouring they used. Lots of research on that, and it touches on all sorts of things: art, women's place in society, beauty & the meaning of beauty and what it means to society, toxicology of makeup, etc.

Have fun!
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    Ok...the other paper is on technology...more so game consoles...

If you ****ers cant help me with that one I wouldnt believe you.
    The most I know about is probably Super Nintendo. I grew up with one and that's the one I've played the most. Second most would be the Nintendo Entertainment System, and then Nintendo 64. Beyond that, all I play is computer games.

What are you planning to do a research paper on? Video game consoles is to broad to cover in 7 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Write something about the lead poisoning that Japanese Geisha's experienced b/c of the white face colouring they used. Lots of research on that, and it touches on all sorts of things: art, women's place in society, beauty & the meaning of beauty and what it means to society, toxicology of makeup, etc.

Have fun!
    Furthermore, you could relate lead white paint to the paint commonly known in the painting field as "Flake White" which was used quite often, before being replaced with Zinc White, and Titanium White. Flake white was a lead based pigment.

^^ probably won't relate much to your cosmetology paper, but you could always squeeze it in if you start to get wordcount syndrome.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just spew whatever first comes to mind, you guys do know this, right?

Tho, on second thought, its not a totally bad idea. But its probably been done before.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    What are you planning to do a research paper on? Video game consoles is to broad to cover in 7 pages.
    More so on the evolution of them. The huge difference in the console itself, the graphics, stuff like that compared to back in the good ol days.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I just spew whatever first comes to mind, you guys do know this, right?

Tho, on second thought, its not a totally bad idea. But its probably been done before.
    That's how I learned to write for college. Basically 'shit out' whatever you know about the topic, and edit it until you're satisfied, while proofreading, and looking for other sources to back your ass up.

Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    More so on the evolution of them. The huge difference in the console itself, the graphics, stuff like that compared to back in the good ol days.
    Eek! that's probably too broad for a research topic.

But you know, it had a lot to do with computing power, and marketing. You know, better graphics sells. When 3d hit the market, it changed the gaming world forever. Maybe you should focus on that change from 2d to 3d instead?

And yeah... that's not a topic you'll find much information on.

Sounds good to me.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Don't forget to add the 'test comment' in your essay. The BS one to make sure that whoever marks it actually read it.

I'd suggest making something up about Geisha using the short samurai sword to apply the makeup. And if they were performing for the emperor, they would deliberately nick themselves to tinge the face paint pink w/their blood to demonstrate their loyalty.

Come to think, tho, Japanese are kind of weird that way. Better check first and make sure they didn't actually do something like this.

--Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you don't know about the databases you must not have access to them. You've got to have a subscription, but if you're a student there's a good chance your college has footed the bill for you. You'd need to know your school's password and which databases it subscribes to. Might be worth asking about in the future. I found them invaluable when I was a student. Beat the pants off going to the library and doing research the old fashioned way.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast