+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Airways Plane Crash

US Airways Plane Crash

There was a US airline jet of approximately 155 passengers and crew scheduled to travel from NY to Charlotte that crashed into Hudson River after birds got into both engines. It was a crash landing and sounds like all got out safely. A few minor injuries occurred.

The pilots deserve an award for the quick thinking and safe emergency landing.

EDIT: Now I'm paranoid of flying again.
    Last edited by lesa; 16-01-09 at 04:39 AM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We should wage war against birds.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The last time I flew, we had to wait for a new plane because the one we were supposed to get on was damaged by a bird that flew into the windshield.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I once flew on a little junk plane. I can't believe they allowed such a crappy plane to fly. It was actually kind of cool in a weird way. It sounded like it was going to break apart in the sky.

Another time, we had to wait for the pilot to decide whether we would fly or get some of the electric work repaired. They couldn't fix the problems so the pilot decided to go. She reassured us that the electrical problems that interfered with starting up will not interfere with flying. I forget....may the electrical engineers here may know how that works.

The flight was absolutely fine but some people were very concern that the electrical ground problems that caused the plane to not work correctly will have the same problem in the sky. Once she switched off the "ground electrical work" all was well. Darn it I should know this stuff after being with my aviator ex.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They're probably simply on different systems, or circuits.

I don't know shit about airplanes, but that's what I gather from her statement.

Yes, that's what I believe she was saying.

I am very paranoid about flying overseas this Spring. I would rather crash on the ground and die burning than crash in the sea.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They go up, they come down. Usually in one piece. Once I'm up there, I figure there's nothing I can do even if there is a problem, so order another drink and watch the movie, folks.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Why Doppel?
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    Why Doppel?
    I'm hydrophobic!.... like oil!

At least they have oxygen masks. I'll be as calm as a Hindu cow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbFVWJrOmgE"]YouTube - fight club - how i met tyler durden[/ame]

airplanes are encroaching on bird land. i wonder what kind of birds they were. must've been big birds or just a huge flock.

also, what are flocks of birds doing flying around in new york in january?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Good question. It was probably a combination of the birds and more about junk engines.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    airplanes are encroaching on bird land. i wonder what kind of birds they were. must've been big birds or just a huge flock.

also, what are flocks of birds doing flying around in new york in january?
    I wonder why birds are here in the -30 weather lol

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I once flew on a little junk plane. I can't believe they allowed such a crappy plane to fly. It was actually kind of cool in a weird way. It sounded like it was going to break apart in the sky.

Another time, we had to wait for the pilot to decide whether we would fly or get some of the electric work repaired. They couldn't fix the problems so the pilot decided to go. She reassured us that the electrical problems that interfered with starting up will not interfere with flying. I forget....may the electrical engineers here may know how that works.

The flight was absolutely fine but some people were very concern that the electrical ground problems that caused the plane to not work correctly will have the same problem in the sky. Once she switched off the "ground electrical work" all was well. Darn it I should know this stuff after being with my aviator ex.
    Thing is, issues with electrical systems on the flaps, landing gear, some communication methods, warning lights and such might not be an issue in mid-air, but I reckon that most take-off issues will be a hazard when landing as well.
    So a play of words. How nice.

Anyhow, plenty of kudos to the NY pilot, makes me glad to not be much of the impulsive and emotion-controlled type. Was aiming to be a 'copter pilot back in the day.

I heard about this from Yahoo news. Good thing there were no serious fatalities. Plane crashes can be tough and can cause great trauma to passengers involved.
    a super special moderator removed a link from this signature. yay for this mod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast