+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is she too young for me?

is she too young for me?

I'm 21, she's 18...we have the same birthday, however, I'm in my 4th year of college, and she's in her last year in highschool...I mean, I'm sure I'll find out as I get to know her if she's too immature or something, but is it really weird or creepy to date a girl who's still in high-school? I feel fine with it, but I worry my parents and friends think she's just a year or so too young...

does it hurt to give it a try and see how it goes at least? btw, I've never been in any sort of relationship before in my life..so I just talked to this girl and she asked me if I like as more than a friend, I said yes, and shes says, she just told me online she doesn't want to rush things...does that mean she's got lots of other guys she's interested in?? on the other hand, she's been asking to hang out with me almost everyday, and since I met her just a week ago, I've already been out with her twice, and met her parents and been to her house...and she wants to see me again tomorrow, and again this weekend...I'm experiencing this stage of a relationship for the first time in my life, i've never made it past a first 1 hour date before...........................................

You're not quite wrong enough. You're semi-wrong. You're quasi-wrong. You're the margarine of wrong. You're the Diet Coke of wrong, just one calorie, not wrong enough.

But on a more serious note, 21 and 18 should be quite alright as long as it suits the two of you, 22 and 18 would be on the edge, 23 and 18 and over is where its a problem I reckon.

Its especially fine compared to all the other cases here, 17-year olds seemingly having a fetisch for men aged between 28 to 50.

Oh, and as for the whole getting together thing, just hang out, flirt around a bit to make sure that she doesnt see you as just a friend, and when the time is right, either ask her where to go from there (or the alternative being to kiss her). Probably guides lying around on this forum for something way more specific.
    Last edited by Lipp; 21-01-09 at 01:25 PM.

I would suggest that you wait until she's out of HS to start dating her. She may be 18, but she's still mired in a world designed for minors. Pretty much you have a far better grasp of who you are than she does, and even then you're still growing a lot.

It's not too bad of an age difference.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

I personally dont think shes too young, im 21 and my girlfriend just turned 19 not so long ago.
    its not much of a gap and shes not like underage or anything.

When I was 22 I dated a guy who was 19 and I found him to be more mature than the 27 year old I dated before him. Age is just a number, and in no time at all she'll be out of high school.

You both said you like each other as more than friends. My guess is that the reason she wants to take things slow is probably more related to the physical aspects of your relationship than anything. You're older, and so she probably has preconceived notions about the things that older guys expect from girls they're dating. If she wants to see you all the time and has introduced you to her parents and such, I'd say that you're the focus of her romantic interests and that there probably aren't any other guys in the picture.
    Last edited by kikibrown22; 21-01-09 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kikibrown22 View Post
    When I was 22 I dated a guy who was 19 and I found him to be more mature than the 27 year old I dated before him. Age is just a number, and in no time at all she'll be out of high school.

You both said you like each other as more than friends. My guess is that the reason she wants to take things slow is probably more related to the physical aspects of your relationship than anything. You're older, and so she probably has preconceived notions about the things that older guys expect from girls they're dating. If she wants to see you all the time and has introduced you to her parents and such, I'd say that you're the focus of her romantic interests and that there probably aren't any other guys in the picture.
    yes I think you are exactly right; though I do worry I could easily fall into the friend category if things don't go a certain way, because as of now, we haven't known each other long, I'm kind of shy, and I'm just hoping I'm able to express my real feelings for her in a way that is appropriate and that she will understand, cause basically I've never kissed a girl I was interested in before, you know? I'm so new to this..i want to express myself so she knows I'm really interested in her...so she can make her decision knowing what I want if I continue to be romantically interested....

thanks!

One of my best friends has been dating a girl 3 years younger than him for almost 2 years now. She was in high school when they met.

It's her level of maturity you should be more concerned about.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Its only been a week, dude. Relax and see where it goes.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

damn you guys would hate me if you knew how old I am and how old my gf is.

My advice to the OP, take it slow and see where it goes.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MavViper View Post
    damn you guys would hate me if you knew how old I am and how old my gf is.

My advice to the OP, take it slow and see where it goes.
    I hate you because you haven't told us.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You are worried about what your parents will say?

If you were my kid, I would realize you don't have any experience with girls, and I'd be okay with it, as long as HER parents were okay with it. You should ask them, just for clarity. Don't just take her word for it. They can make your life a living hell if they don't approve.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

She is definitely not too young for you (in age); however, you two may be at different stages of life. I wouldn't date a high schooler if I was in my 4th your of college. I would wait until she gets out of high school and then check out her character. By then, I would probably have another prospect.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oppps,I'm turning red. Seems that me and my bf are perverts Cause I'm going to be 20 and he's going to be 26 this year.
    OP, I don't think it's going to be a problem. Actually I have many friends with such a age "gap" , if even it's any kind of a gap. And I think You and her are on the same maturity level,so there is no problem , IMHO
    Greets, PP
    I wazzzz here

I do not see an age gap in your situation or the OP's situation. To me an age gap is greater than 10 years and they are both adults. I'm talking about stages/phases of life that may be different. He could be the same age and still have that problem.

Example, lets say I am a 45 years old single mother, financially secure, working my way up the career ladder and finished doing clubs and bars at 23 y/o. Meanwhile, I am dating a 45 y/o who likes to hop bars, hang out and drink with friends all day, doesn't like children, and never had stable work. We are wasting each other's time.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i dated a senior in high school when i was in my fourth year of college. i think that it more so depends on the people in a relationship, yet i thought that her mentality was too young for me.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast