+ Follow This Topic

Thread: why the awkwardness?

why the awkwardness?

Has anyone else ever wondered why there is so much awkwardness surrounding sex, genitalia, etc?

What is it about sex - and for that matter, any sort of bodily "process" or activity - that we get so awkward and embarrassed about, at least when we're learning it in school? Is it just the fact that that part of your body is associated with bodily waste that makes it somehow embarrassing to mention it?

I'm really curious about whether people have an idea if there's something more basic behind this than cultural conditioning.

In America it's pretty easy to answer. Puritanical foundation of the country.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    Cultural conditioning, like I said. So you're saying puritanism and lack of a healthy view of sex as a positive thing are the sole reasons for this?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think so. These areas are associated with excretory functions, which a person is naturally inclined to be adverse to, no matter how "natural" it is, and when you combine human waste products and activities that are considered intimate, people will be hesitant to discuss them openly.

besides, in my experience, this isn't a cultural matter. None of the patients I've had from any other country feel more comfortable about discussing these things. In fact, Americans tend to be more open.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    In fact, Americans tend to be more open.
    I hope we can keep it that way.

In any case, in highschool when we did sex ed, one of the teachers we had had everyone shout "PENIS!" "VAGINA!" over and over again.

It was funny hearing that walking down the hall.

That was back home in Philly.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In my grade 11 sex ed class, the lady teaching it was telling us to try using cucumbers or carrots to practice oral sex techniques.

I guess this was 'advanced' sex ed.

As for the shame attached to sex and/or genitalia.......I think it's hammered into us as children to help prevent us from being abused or taken advantage of sexually while we're still vulnerable. I was quite comfortable with my 'naughty parts' until I went to school and they taught me that being touched in those areas was 'bad'.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I hope we can keep it that way.

In any case, in highschool when we did sex ed, one of the teachers we had had everyone shout "PENIS!" "VAGINA!" over and over again.

It was funny hearing that walking down the hall.
    That's funny, my teacher in high school made us do the same thing. She also showed us books and made us look at those disgusting pictures of rotting STD infested penises and vaginas. Not cool.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    US is pretty open, tho, in many ways. But incredibly backwards in others. I don't think its so much Puritanism as it is mixed messages.

In Urp, they are just as open (or more) about things sexual. But there are much fewer mixed messages in schools, media, entertainment, etc.

That's why things like Spears new song is getting all the hoohoo its getting in US. But in Urp, its just 'shrug'. It was same for Madonna.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

In my Anthrop course, we talk openly about things like menstruation, pms, sex, and so forth. Nobody laughs or anything. In fact it's pretty much a seminar between a professor and students my age.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    In fact, Americans tend to be more open.
    Actually, I disagree. While openly discussing sex and what one wants from it has become less taboo, it's still taboo. Compared to Europe we're still very puritanical in nature. Our very laws reflect this in fact.

Sure, we're not as repressed as say Japan or Thailand, but we're still pretty repressed in general. This is why simply teaching about STDs, one's own body in relation to sex functions, and how to properly protect oneself through the use of birth control and preventative aids is such a hot button of debate. Sexuality in general is very repressed here. Trans/fluid gender folk are generally scorned because we're taught that it's "bad". Gays are not allowed to marry because it somehow destroys the traditional nuclear family.

Sex and gender identity are generally very hush hush subjects. One can show female genitalia on screen, but to do so with a male subject is damn near forbidden. Let alone show an actual erect penis even if it is not engaged in a sex act.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    She also showed us books and made us look at those disgusting pictures of rotting STD infested penises and vaginas. Not cool.
    Hey, if showing you what you can get from not protecting yourself helps even 10% of the people that see it, then you're making progress.

Not cool? To what, make you think twice about sticking your dick in something? Wouldn't you rather have the information to make an educated decision rather than one based upon fear alone? How bad is it to say to a guy, "Yes wearing a condom sucks but it is far better than catching or spreading a disease. It is far better than becoming a teen father or mother. It is far better than ending up DEAD or horribly disfigured for life." Along with explaining to people that it's really up to them to decide when they are ready to have sex, and that it's OK to NOT be ready. That it's OK to choose to wait if you want.

Hell, I never had sex ed. My HS didn't offer it until the year after I graduated. The closest I ever had to a birds and the bees talk was my father tossing a box of condoms at me and saying, "I thought you might need these."

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There's a recent Australian ad campaign for responsible drinking that shows a woman about to be date raped. Another one of a guy getting hit by a car. Pretty graphic. Would never get on the air in the US.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    There's a recent Australian ad campaign for responsible drinking that shows a woman about to be date raped. Another one of a guy getting hit by a car. Pretty graphic. Would never get on the air in the US.
    Hell I WISH they'd show that crap here.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    What is it about sex - and for that matter, any sort of bodily "process" or activity - that we get so awkward and embarrassed about, at least when we're learning it in school?
    I think the most direct answer is because it leads to risky and damaging circumstances. It's a jungle out there, once you open up a can of worms like "sex discussions" it's hard to close it (hence why one of my friends does it all the time to "ease" his subjects into it, he knows these talks lead to promiscuity).

Though, it's hard to explain without examples of what and where was mentioned. Can you give an example?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~