+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Date with a Turkish guy

Date with a Turkish guy

so, I have a date next week with a Turkish guy. He's 21, very cute, seems really nice. He moved here just a few months ago, so it must be quite a culture shock for him.

Anybody got any experience with the Turks or their culture? I mean I know I'm generalising, but I'm thinking that Turkish girls are more the head-scarf wearing, virginity-keeping, home-maker types. Plus it is such a different culture, there's bound to be this whole other list of etiquette that I'm so far blissfully unaware of... do they even drink alcohol? Yes, I'm driving myself nuts...

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    so, I have a date next week with a Turkish guy. He's 21, very cute, seems really nice. He moved here just a few months ago, so it must be quite a culture shock for him.

Anybody got any experience with the Turks or their culture? I mean I know I'm generalising, but I'm thinking that Turkish girls are more the head-scarf wearing, virginity-keeping, home-maker types. Plus it is such a different culture, there's bound to be this whole other list of etiquette that I'm so far blissfully unaware of... do they even drink alcohol? Yes, I'm driving myself nuts...
    have you talked to him about his culture?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Well, Tiay, he probably won't be too demanding about cultural differences since he's the stranger in a strange land. Just the fact that he asked a Eurpoean college chick out in the first place tells me he's not too conservative.

My only Turkish friend (who was female) didn't drink at all and said that her ex-husband back in Istanbul was a dick. That's the beginning and end of my knowledge about Turks.
    Spammer Spanker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQ-wjDH4F4"]YouTube - Istanbul - They Might Be Giants. MTV Europe, 1990[/ame]

ahahahjahahaaa.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

man, i've missed LF.

sonrisa;

no, I've barely talked to him at all, we've basically just been glancing at each other in the gym for weeks and last monday we shared the walk home, exchanged numbers and talked a bit but that was it.

giga;

hm, yeah, good point. Who knows though. I hope he doesn't consider a date to constitute a relationship. I find these things hard enough to define as it is, without a whole nother set of rules.
    And a family friend has a similar story to the one your Turkish friend tells. But, I'm not in Turkey and I'm not marrying him. damn he is hot though... I will give the turkish guys that.

sombra;

that was brilliant. And you have youtube video word association down to an art

I only know a few general things:

1.) Crazy about soccer/futball like any other European nation.
    2.) A lot of them smoke, old Turkish tradition I think.
    3.) They salt their food or something traditional dealing with salt and food.

Istanbul is the capital of Turkey and was a major site in the crusades but I suppose these are both fun facts?

P.S. They are almost neighbors with Romania....that place is famous for Absenth....he better drink.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I know someone who went to Turkey and one guy asked him how many goats he would like for his daughter.

Though, Turkish guys in my High School were alrite.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    lol misombra do you like TMBG? One of my friends LOVES them. Except their new song Crumb Factory, which blows. He hates that

But anyways Tiay, are you serious? He's in YOUR country now. I personally hate when Americans try to adapt to the cultures of foreigners, you know, just the complete opposite of how they would respond to us in their country

So, ideally, you wouldn't give it any consideration, but considering you probably want to leave the best impression you can, you probably are going to give it consideration

So if I could help you, maybe I would, but I can't

cbrider:

hi!
    thanks for the random infoness . I know next to nothing about this stuff. note to self; ask if he drinks.

mish;

hm. my dad could use some goats I guess.

DM;

it's not so much about trying to adapt as it is about just knowing. Well, and the impression thing too. In our culture, three dates and casual sex is the norm. In another culture it might mean we're practically married, or that I get stoned to death if I go out with that other fella I mentioned before, if he ever gets back from the UK. And if things don't work out I want to still be able to go to the gym

a definite NO!!! And he most likely isn't serious about it either. That's what turkish guys are like. Those who've been to their country know what "turkish guys" are like. They ARE nice at first and they know how to attract a girl but there are only two things they like a european girl for the first one being her body (so as soon as they get it they move on), and the second one is money so if she's rich they may even marry her and after the divorce (which will follow cuz a turkish husband and a turkish boyfriend are like two different people) they'll try to get to your money.
    So it's okay to accept his compliments but don't get your hopes up (or you'll most likely be disapointed) they are just flirty by nature but a woman is just a plaything for them

I don't know much about Turks. I know Serdar Somuncu is hilarious as hell. Turkey is a very rough country from what I hear, and yes, has a very traditional culture.

Have you ever read Midnight Express? It's about an American boy (Autobiography) who is thrown in jail in Turkey for smuggling hashish. He is sentenced for a few years, during which he escapes across the border to Greece, and flies back to America. Pretty interesting book, and it gives an inisghtful look on life in Turkey, although rather biased.

Anyway, I agree with Gigabitch. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions about his life and his culture. I am sure he would be pleased to talk about it during your date.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In my experience, men from that region really enjoy the company of Western girls, but when it comes time to get serious about relationships, they are extremely traditional - both in meeting familial expectations for a suitable match, and in their expectations of women's roles. My husband's son spent about 6 months living there. Turkey is much more Westernized than most Muslim countries, but is experiencing a return to traditional culture (as is the case in much of the Arab world). The larger cities are pretty progressive, but the rural areas can be positively backwards, so depending on where he was raised, he may be more or less traditional. They like to smoke hookah (shishah) and cigarettes, and most will abstain from alcohol (religious mandate). Food is great! Oh, and they are often real charmers and flatterers, and very masculine/"macho" as compared to Western men.
    Last edited by vashti; 06-02-09 at 12:41 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    and most will abstain from alcohol (religious mandate).
    Oh man, oh man this could be bad!

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Turkish guy, Asia guys, Western guys all of them are in fact original man.

Man do share most of the similarity around the world except arise from different culture or religious background.

As long as people could get to gather sharing their feeling casually (it happened in LF) or in-depth, it is up to them for any further development in relationship or commitment.

hm, now i'm really looking forward to this date. To be honest I'm not really after a serious relationship so if he plans to have some fun here and then marry a turkish girl that is fine with me. He seems to have pretty permanent plans for living in the country though. The only other tidbit of info I can think of is that on our brief walk together he said "so you are catholic?" and I told him I was an atheist. That didn't seem to upset him and he just mentioned something about religion being to blame for a lot of wars and we changed the subject.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast