+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creation of the Earth

Quote Originally Posted by leight69
    As for our parents being our greatest influence - Are you deny the fact that the people who raised you on a day to day basis are the biggest influence on our values and beleifs?
    Ummm, clearly that is what I was saying. My parents don't believe, I do. I wasn't sent away from them in boarding school or anything - - I lived in their house, ate at their table. They raised me on a day to day basis. My parents and I have alot of other differences as well.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Thankful for both sets of my grandparents being still alive-my dads parents are strong in their faith-my moms parents are not...whew the complete opposites-so Im in the middle cause my parents were and are...but I think my parents are a great influence on me...and I appreciate everything they have ever done or said to help me in guidance thorughout life-theyre wise individuals and I have a great amount of respect for them. My family rocks.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by leight69
    Actually the Lords Prayer was removed due to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And what happened was the case was brought before the courts (A parent of a non-christian denomination) and challenged the law as it stood against the Charter.
    The courts struck down that portion of the law deeming it unconstitutional.
    Don't really get this. How can saying the Lord's prayer be unconstitutional? Isn't it the right/freedom of everyone to say the Lord's Prayer in the morning, or whatever else they bloody well feel? In Canada, they stopped saying the Lord's Prayer, but they allow 2 minutes of quiet for whatever reflection you choose. If you want to say the Lord's Prayer in your head, knock yourself out. If you choose to use the time to decide on an outfit for the weekend, so be it.
    The choices are in fact to either recognize ALL denominations/faiths/beleifs or to keep religion out of school.
    that's why I said it had mostly to do with other religions.
    There is also a HUGE difference between math and religion. Math can be proved, reproved and proved again...in fact that's what math is.
    Don't know where this is coming from, seeing as how I never brought math up, but I totally agree with you bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrley
    theyre wise individuals and I have a great amount of respect for them. My family rocks.
    That's great, Squirrel. My grandparents are all gone and none of them liked me much anyway. Too outspoken for them, I guess. I never held anything back. My parents are both alcoholics and every weekend was a big drunk. I'm NOTHING like them and they passed on no beliefs whatsoever. I'm not bothered by it. I have a mind of my own and can read enough. I make my own informed decisions.

Im sorry things were not so great for you growing up-my grandpa is an alcholic and dying...just waiting...as much as I have disliked him cause hes one mean mother ****er-I love him and this will be harder than hell-being 33 and losing a grandparent is not want i want to go through...but its coming any time soon...May God be with me this year...and my family.

Awe, thanks girl. I'm alright. I think I turned out incredibly well given the circumstances. And my mum is making up for such a lousy childhood. She treats her grandchildren like gold and I forgave her a long time ago. (doesn't drink anymore, which is good). My grandfather died when I was nine, so I wasn't extremely affected by it. I didn't know him that well, and like I said, he and I didn't really get along. Losing my sister was a far bigger deal for me a year and a half ago. She was only 2 years younger and had brain cancer. She lived with that for almost 20 years being diagnosed when she was just a teen. It's far harder, I think to watch someone you love, deteriorate over time. Seeing someone that was so vivacious and happy turn into someone so lethargic, sad and sedate, does something to you. I miss her everyday.

Oh Breezy-my heart breaks for you-its 5:30am right now and couldnt sleep-and now I wish I were there to give you a hug. Im so sorry to hear about your sister. I just cant imagine what that was like for you-my gosh Breezy-Im so sorry angel. I have seen my grandpa several times over the last year and its hard to see him cause everytime I know that hes closer...oh Breezy...Im so sorry.

I'd say you turned out incredibly well-youre a wonderful person R~!!! I love ya girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy18
    Don't really get this. How can saying the Lord's prayer be unconstitutional? Isn't it the right/freedom of everyone to say the Lord's Prayer in the morning, or whatever else they bloody well feel? In Canada, they stopped saying the Lord's Prayer, but they allow 2 minutes of quiet for whatever reflection you choose. If you want to say the Lord's Prayer in your head, knock yourself out. If you choose to use the time to decide on an outfit for the weekend, so be it.
    that's why I said it had mostly to do with other religions.
    Don't know where this is coming from, seeing as how I never brought math up, but I totally agree with you bud.

Well in Canada you used to have to say the Lord's Prayer in class...then someone protested and now it's been removed. (I can't speak for the Catholic Systen - I couldn't find the ruling off hand, and I didn't go to Catholic School). Quiet reflection and making a classroom full of kids say the Lord's prayer - is very different, é.

Yes...mostly to due with "other religions" - ie: they didn't want any other religion shoved down their throats.

The math comment - was in reaction to another comment on this thread about math...etc.

As a side, anyone else learn about evolution in biology? I did in grade 11 biology.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    Oh Breezy-my heart breaks for you-its 5:30am right now and couldnt sleep-and now I wish I were there to give you a hug. Im so sorry to hear about your sister. I just cant imagine what that was like for you-my gosh Breezy-Im so sorry angel. I have seen my grandpa several times over the last year and its hard to see him cause everytime I know that hes closer...oh Breezy...Im so sorry.

I'd say you turned out incredibly well-youre a wonderful person R~!!! I love ya girl!
    awe, thanks girl. That means a lot to me, it truly does. I loves ya too. And having you care so much is just as good as a hug. But I'm good. She's not suffering anymore and that makes me happy. We spent 30 some years together and I got to know her better than anyone. So I'm happy with that. Good memories.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123