+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kill the poor.

kill the poor.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090315/ap_on_re_us/detained_immigrants[/url]

AP IMPACT: Immigrants face detentions, few rights

By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer Michelle Roberts, Associated Press Writer – 39 mins ago
    Ahmad Al-Shrmany is interviewed at the Immigration & Customs Enforcement AP – Ahmad Al-Shrmany is interviewed at the Immigration & Customs Enforcement processing center, Friday, Jan. …

America's detention system for immigrants has mushroomed in the last decade, a costly building boom that was supposed to sweep up criminals and ensure that undocumented immigrants were quickly shown the door.

Instead, an Associated Press computer analysis of every person being held on a recent Sunday night shows that most did not have a criminal record and many were not about to leave the country — voluntarily or via deportation.

An official Immigration and Customs Enforcement database, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, showed a U.S. detainee population of exactly 32,000 on the evening of Jan. 25.

The data show that 18,690 immigrants had no criminal conviction, not even for illegal entry or low-level crimes like trespassing. More than 400 of those with no criminal record had been incarcerated for at least a year. A dozen had been held for three years or more; one man from China had been locked up for more than five years.

Nearly 10,000 had been in custody longer than 31 days — the average detention stay that ICE cites as evidence of its effective detention management.

Especially tough bail conditions are exacerbated by disregard or bending of the rules regarding how long immigrants can be detained.

Based on a 2001 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court, ICE has about six months to deport or release immigrants after their case is decided. But immigration lawyers say that deadline is routinely missed. In the system snapshot provided to the AP, 950 people were in that category.

The detainee buildup began in the mid 1990s, long before the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Since 2003, though, Congress has doubled to $1.7 billion the amount dedicated to imprisoning immigrants, as furor over "criminal aliens" intertwined with post-9/11 fears and anti-immigrant political rhetoric.

But the dragnet has come to include not only terrorism suspects and cop killers, but an honors student who was raised in Orlando, Fla.; a convenience store clerk who begged to go back to Canada; and a Pentecostal minister who was forcibly drugged by ICE agents after he asked to contact his wife, according to court records.

Immigration lawyers note that substantial numbers of detainees, from 177 countries in the data provided, are not illegal immigrants at all. Many of the longest-term non-criminal detainees are asylum seekers fighting to stay here because they fear being killed in their home country. Others are longtime residents who may be eligible to stay under other criteria, or whose applications for permanent residency were lost or mishandled, the lawyers say.

Still other long-term detainees include people who can't be deported because their home country won't accept them or people who seemingly have been forgotten in the behemoth system, where 58 percent have no lawyers or anyone else advocating on their behalf.

(the article is longer if you use the link...)
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    But the dragnet has come to include not only terrorism suspects and cop killers, but an honors student who was raised in Orlando, Fla.; a convenience store clerk who begged to go back to Canada; and a Pentecostal minister who was forcibly drugged by ICE agents after he asked to contact his wife, according to court records.

Immigration lawyers note that substantial numbers of detainees, from 177 countries in the data provided, are not illegal immigrants at all. Many of the longest-term non-criminal detainees are asylum seekers fighting to stay here because they fear being killed in their home country. Others are longtime residents who may be eligible to stay under other criteria, or whose applications for permanent residency were lost or mishandled, the lawyers say.

Still other long-term detainees include people who can't be deported because their home country won't accept them or people who seemingly have been forgotten in the behemoth system, where 58 percent have no lawyers or anyone else advocating on their behalf.
    Sounds more like "Kill the system" to me
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    When you can afford it, or are in a position to do so, help/hire someone who needs it. Homeless, single mom (or dad), young person from a difficult home, etc.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

If you are a non-criminal the ICE has no other choice but to detain because of an illegal entrance into the country. Sometimes they are even given the choice to become a legal citizen after serving. As far as criminals go... it all depends on the crime. If it isn't strong enough for incarceration that qualifies them for detention sometimes they aren't even released.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't care for the illegals.

I won't deny they're humans, but they're not citizens and accepted the fact they're taking a risk of being taken advantage of when they crossed the border.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mexico treats their illegal immigrants a hundred fuccking times worse than the US treats illegal immigrants

i don't believe in borders, there has to be a better way to deal with poverty
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Yeah... build a great wall... like the one of China

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Mexico treats their illegal immigrants a hundred fuccking times worse than the US treats illegal immigrants
    bullshit. american policy is a big reason mexico is so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    Yeah... build a great wall... like the one of China
    we'd have to hire some illegal mexicans to come build it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    bullshit. american policy is a big reason mexico is so poor.
    1) Don't blame the US that Mexico is becoming a failed state. Just because we are smarter and more industrious doesn't mean they can't be either

2) Yes, Mexico treats their illegal immigrants from Central America like SHIT compared to how the US treats illegal immigrants from Mexico. Read up on it

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Just because we are smarter

i am literally lmao, yeh that's what you're known for LOL LOL LOL
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Oh dear....another US vs. the World arguement.

Count me out...
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LadieNisha4u2nv View Post
    Oh dear....another US vs. the World arguement.

Count me out...
    Naw just Mexico this time

Both me and my sister got emails from our schools warning us about travel to Mexico this spring break. They are on the verge of a collapse down there which is bad news for the US

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    i am literally lmao, yeh that's what you're known for LOL LOL LOL
    Considering 17 of the 20 best colleges in the world are in the US, as well as more Nobel Prizes in the sciences by a factor of 3 and the largest economy with tech businesses I would agree that is what we are known for

It's funny how retarded Eurotrash and such created a stereotype literally out of the blue just to feel better about themselves
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 16-03-09 at 11:27 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast