+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The 5 Love Languages. Which is yours?

The 5 Love Languages. Which is yours?

So there is a series of books written about love and how we show it and receive it as couples and individuals. It's called the five love languages.

Sounds a bit simplistic since we are all a mix of all five but I agree in what I have experienced as people do lean more toward a single one. Which do you think you are?

Here are a break down of each:

Words of Affirmation
    This is when you say how nice your spouse looks, or how great the dinner tasted. These words will also build your mate's self image and confidence.

Quality Time
    Some spouses believe that being together, doing things together and focusing in on one another is the best way to show love. If this is your partner's love language, turn off the TV now and then and give one another some undivided attention.

Gifts
    It is universal in human cultures to give gifts. They don't have to be expensive to send a powerful message of love. Spouses who forget a birthday or anniversary or who never give gifts to someone who truly enjoys gift giving will find themselves with a spouse who feels neglected and unloved.

Acts of Service
    Discovering how you can best do something for your spouse will require time and creativity. These acts of service like vacuuming, hanging a bird feeder, planting a garden, etc., need to be done with joy in order to be perceived as a gift of love.

Physical Touch
    Sometimes just stroking your spouse's back, holding hands, or a peck on the cheek will fulfill this need.

I could be Physical Touch or words of affirmation though I think I lean more towards words of affirmation.

The funny thing about language is that it takes no form. It's like water.

Fortunately love can be communicated much more than those 5 ways.

Of course. This is just boiling those ways into 5 categories. Love can be shown all sorts of ways. I think overall its a good system.

Hmm... I tend to do all five quite equally... then again I tend to be somewhat meticulous when in a relationship... always keeping track of how often and in what way I show affection...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Hmm... I tend to do all five quite equally... then again I tend to be somewhat meticulous when in a relationship... always keeping track of how often and in what way I show affection...
    Who you trying to convince?

Quote Originally Posted by Pectabyte View Post
    Who you trying to convince?
    Not trying to convince anyone... It's something about myself I happened to notice. This isn't necessarily a good thing... I have a more accommodative personality.. which means I tend to leave myself out quite often.

So if it sounded like I was being arrogant.. rest assured.. I wasn't.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Not trying to convince anyone... It's something about myself I happened to notice. This isn't necessarily a good thing... I have a more accommodative personality.. which means I tend to leave myself out quite often.

So if it sounded like I was being arrogant.. rest assured.. I wasn't.
    No your not arrogant. You are clearly the victim. You should learn to be less selfless.

In the wastelands between insomnia and clarevoiance
    If I had to break it down like that, I would probably say Words of Affirmation.
    BACAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Charity is gay.