+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to cope?

How to cope?

I have been trying to find the strength to break off my 5 and some year relationship for almost a year now. We're both 27 and living together, have joint finances, etc. It's hurting him badly, it's hurting me, there's sort of another guy involved, and it's all over a shitty situation. I feel like I am getting depressed over it and I am afraid that if I end it I will barely be able to get by financially, rent is so fukcing expensive here. And although I am considered to be good looking, I'm still afraid that I will never find anyone that will love/respect me as much as he does. I'm just not in love with him anymore. I don't know what to do, if I'm doing the right thing finally breaking it off. The other guy is hardly part of the picture, it's more the IDEA of freedom that he represents. I need help coping, don't know who to talk to. Don't have many friends here since we moved her together a couple of years ago, and wouldn't want to be a burden either.

I really need some real advice here, by people who've been through it already, with serious relationships.

Well I haven't been there, however I will suggest the following:

*Consider talking to a psychiatrist/therapist, this should help some.
    *Hang out more often with your friends, particularly girlfriends. Dish the dirt with them and trash talk if need be.
    *Find someone to help you get over him, i.e. a FWB, random hookup, etc.

Clearly you're not happy, so if you want to be happy, you need to end it. You said rent is expensive, what about your friends, could you live with any of them? If not, consider looking for a roommate through the newspaper, CL, or other similar outlets. Or talk to a relative about living with them if possible.

You shouldn't be or feel forced to stay in an unhealthy & unhappy relationship.

If he respects you and loves you so much, what is he doing wrong that made you fall out of love with him?

Maybe focus on that too I guess...