+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Trying to do the Right Thing

Trying to do the Right Thing

Ok so I've been seeing a girl who I thought would be the one for me. We dated for almost four years. The problem is she is an only child and her parents taught her to be very dependent. So dependent that she tends to push the people that care about her out of her life. She is also an overachiever, and in my mind a girl trying desperately to win the approval of her parents. So much that she obeys every command they give her. They're demanding that she goes to an ivy league school and get an advanced degree. I already have mine and am set. So set, I was willing to go with her.

She called it off because she doesn't believe in long distance relationships. This was a hard thing to do, but I strongly believe she didn't come to this decision by herself. Of course I was devastated.

That part didn't hurt what hurt was her rationalizing to give herself an excuse to end it. She never pointed out any of my imperfections in all the time we were together, but she laid them all out in one hour. WOW, talk about broadside. She has imperfections too, but that's part of being in a relationship. I thought things we're great, but she slammed us into a wall at 100mph if you know what I mean.

Anywase , I told her I had bad experiences with being friends with exes. I told her it was impossible to be friends with her. I severed all contact with her for almost two months. I came home from a trip and found messages asking on my welfare in my email from her.

Where does this road lead??? What is she thinking? I was doing fine until this mental game came back.

She is extremely sheltered. She has to break away and find her own road. You can't do this for her. I don't know what else to tell you.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin