+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole body detox/cleansing?

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Whole body detox/cleansing?

Can anyone recommend a good body cleansing supplement? I feel that after all the years of abuse, my liver and other internal organs deserve a good detox. I mean, I've read about quite a few, but no reviews really convince me ... I guess I'm looking for some better opinions ...

I prefer to take capsules/tablets/pills as opposed to fasting ... If there is a product out there, please let me know!
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

eat only raw fruits and vegetables and drink tea and water.

do that for a week and you should be fine.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Pills don't work that well.

Changing your eating habbits does.

Easiest way to do a body detox is to start with one day of fasting and drinking water only.

Starting with day two, start providing your body with plenty of vitamin C by eating fresh citrus fruits and vegetables with high vitamin C content like for example: papayas, strawberries, oranges, melons, cantaloupes, cauliflowers, grapefruits... . This will cause the liver to produce Glutathione, which will start cleaning out the body.

Day three, you start adding plenty of fiber to the diet. So on top of fruit and vegies with high vitamin C content, you also opt now for fruit and vegetables with high fiber content such as apples, beets, cabbage, artichokes, broccoli, radishes...

All the time, you can drink as much water as you like, it helps detoxing. If you get tired of having water all the time, you can drink things like rose hip tea or lychee juice (both high in vitamin C). This just to give you an idea.

Excercise every day for a few minutes. 15 to 20 a day should do. It doesn't have to be anything difficult, it can be as simple as stairclimbing or running on the spot. The idea is to sweat, which again helps the body detox. Steambaths work to.

By day seven, your body should be pretty much detoxed.

If you combine this with 15 or 20 minutes of yoga and/or meditation a day, you'll give you mind a nice little detox to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've never heard a doctor recommend "detoxifying" the body to anyone. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I've never heard a doctor recommend "detoxifying" the body to anyone. Ever.
    It's not really a detox in the sense of getting rid of toxic subtances in your body or so.

It's a way to provide your body with the supplements it's usualy missing, like vitamines and fiber. In a hot dog french fries and hamburger culture with lots of booze, it does the trick, no matter what it's called.

Read it as: giving the body (internal organs) a break from all the grease, fat, food colors, artificial flavours, etc etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just eat healthy.

Don't believe the hype in all that detox shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Just eat healthy.

Don't believe the hype in all that detox shit.
    See the second line of my post:

Changing your eating habbits does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ygg's post sounded pretty healthy to me, whatever its called. Breaking bad eating habits?

The coffee withdrawl headaches are the worst for me w/those things.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, will my body just start getting rid of toxins by just eating healthy? Isn't there still going to be leftover crap in my system from way back when?
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post
    Well, will my body just start getting rid of toxins by just eating healthy? Isn't there still going to be leftover crap in my system from way back when?
    Yes. BTW, it's ok after the one week 'hard detox' like I described in my earlier post, to have a burger or fries on occasion. You don't have to suffer and become a vegetarian.

The trick is to find a healthy ballance.

Right now I think your main concern is to get all the fats, carbs and other stuff like that's mixed into fastfood and prepared foods out of your body. This one week 'hard detox' will do that for you.

After that, just watch your eating habbits a little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths[/url]

[url]http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths[/url]

From [URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov[/URL]

Relation between changes in intakes of dietary fiber and grain products and changes in weight and development of obesity among middle-aged women.
    Liu S, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB, Rosner B, Colditz G.
    Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Nov;78(5):920-7.

Although increased consumption of dietary fiber and grain products is widely recommended to maintain healthy body weight, little is known about the relation of whole grains to body weight and long-term weight changes. The study examined the associations between the intakes of dietary fiber and whole- or refined-grain products and weight gain over time. In a prospective cohort study, 74 091 US female nurses, (38-63 y in 1984) and free of known cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes at baseline, were followed from 1984 to 1996. Using multiple models to adjust for covariates, average weight, body mass index, long-term weight changes, and the odds ratio of developing obesity (BMI >= 30) according to change in dietary intake were calculated. Women who consumed more whole grains consistently weighed less than did women who consumed less whole grains (P for trend < 0.0001). Over 12 y, those with the greatest increase in intake of dietary fiber gained an average of 1.52 kg less than did those with the smallest increase in intake of dietary fiber (P for trend < 0.0001) independent of body weight at baseline, age, and changes in covariate status. Women in the highest quintile of dietary fiber intake had a 49% lower risk of major weight gain than did women in the highest quintile (OR = 0.51; 95% CI: 0.39, 0.67; P < 0.0001 for trend).

Weight gain was inversely associated with the intake of high-fiber, whole-grain foods but positively related to the intake of refined-grain foods, which indicated the importance of distinguishing whole-grain products from refined-grain products to aid in weight control.

A Review of Low-carbohydrate Ketogenic Diets.
    Westman EC, Mavropoulos J, Yancy WS, Volek JS.
    Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2003 Nov;5(6):476-83.

In response to the emerging epidemic of obesity in the United States, a renewal of interest in alternative diets has occurred, especially in diets that limit carbohydrate intake. Recent research has demonstrated that low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets can lead to weight loss and favorable changes in serum triglycerides and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. This review summarizes the physiology and recent clinical studies regarding this type of diet.

An isoenergetic very low carbohydrate diet improves serum HDL cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations, the total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol ratio and postprandial pipemic responses compared with a low fat diet in normal weight, normolipidemic women.
    Volek JS, Sharman MJ, Gomez AL, Scheett TP, Kraemer WJ.
    J Nutr. 2003 Sep;133(9):2756-61.

A balanced, randomized, two-period, crossover study in 10 healthy normolipidemic women who consumed both a low fat (<30% fat) and a very low carbohydrate (<10% carbohydrate) diet for 4 wk each was conducted to determine effects on blood lipids and other cardiovascular disease risk factors. Compared with the low fat diet, the very low carbohydrate diet increased fasting serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) and HDL-C and decreased serum triacylglycerols, the total cholesterol to HDL ratio and the area under the 8-h postprandial triacylglycerol curve.

----

Again, we can argue back and forth about this, but I won't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post

A balanced, randomized, two-period, crossover study in 10 healthy normolipidemic women who consumed both a low fat (<30% fat) and a very low carbohydrate (<10% carbohydrate) diet for 4 wk each was conducted to determine effects on blood lipids and other cardiovascular disease risk factors. Compared with the low fat diet, the very low carbohydrate diet increased fasting serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) and HDL-C and decreased serum triacylglycerols, the total cholesterol to HDL ratio and the area under the 8-h postprandial triacylglycerol curve.

----

Again, we can argue back and forth about this, but I won't.
    ???

Did you read what you posted? Is it really news that eating a low fat diet will lower your lipid levels?

This doesn't have anything at all to do with "body detoxing".

???

Did you read what you posted? Is it really news that eating a low fat diet will lower your lipid levels?

This doesn't have anything at all to do with "body detoxing".
    I suggest to read the entire post, where I clearly outline it's about eating habbits, I don't care if someone calls it 'detox' (which is just another word for 'healthy diet'.

I do however agree there's a lot of holistics out there who will try to make a good penny of something that's already known for eh.. centuries?

Don't fall for that trap and waste your money on those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ahh, I see. You feel I was attacking your position that eating a healthy diet will make you healthy. **rolling eyes** I wasn't actually aware that some people consider eating sensibly "body detoxification", and I was actually responding to shorty's question, and not you at all. I didn't even read your post - I rarely read long posts by newbies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast