+ Follow This Topic

Thread: His family hates me

His family hates me

I dont know what to do, my fiance's family hates me and as of right now I dont think I can go through with the wedding. Im scared of living my life with these people and I just want to throw in the towel and give up.

They don't like me because we have different cultural backgrounds.

What cultures?

if your fiance love u dont worry my dear ....the most important thing the love between u and him..and if u have skeptic about his love ..then u have the right to worry and its better for all to broke ...
    my heart with u dear

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Throwing in the towel will just make them dislike you more, for giving up. In a way, it will justify for them all the reasons you shouldn't have been together in the first place (trust me, been there, done that).

If you and your fiance really love each other and the cultural differences are not an issue in your relationship with each other, you should be fine. Families come around. You might find they come around even more after you marry.

Again, what are your backgrounds?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

If you show me a person who gets along with all of his or her inlaws, then I'll show you somebody marrying an orphan.

like seriously, are you marrying his inlaws? are you marrying his dad? his brother? dyking it out with his aunt flo or his mom? no? then who the hell cares if his family hates you? if any of his relatives decide to be bitchy towards you, then tell them to go piss up a rope. I know it sounds bad, but there are people in my own family that I don't like, and have come very close to telling them to go **** a duck.

like my uncle's wife(i'm not even acknowledging she is even my aunt) that I know everybody hates as much as I do, anyways, but that is beside the point.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You are very likely exaggerating that they all dislike you, but in the event that you aren't, I can only say this: I wouldn't marry into a family I couldn't get along with. Much to popular disbelief, you marry an entire family - not just one person. His family will be your family, and the family of your children. You will need their support over the length of a long marriage.

You should get this worked out before you get married - either sit down alone with them and hash it out, or maybe a clergy person or therapist can intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelovedoctor View Post
    If you show me a person who gets along with all of his or her inlaws, then I'll show you somebody marrying an orphan.

like seriously, are you marrying his inlaws? are you marrying his dad? his brother? dyking it out with his aunt flo or his mom? no? then who the hell cares if his family hates you? if any of his relatives decide to be bitchy towards you, then tell them to go piss up a rope. I know it sounds bad, but there are people in my own family that I don't like, and have come very close to telling them to go **** a duck.

like my uncle's wife(i'm not even acknowledging she is even my aunt) that I know everybody hates as much as I do, anyways, but that is beside the point.

That's hardly going to make things easier. the point is, if her fiancé is close to his family, then the feeling of not being liked becomes intense. Who wouldn't want the in-laws to like them, even though it should not matter, it matters to the OP.

My parents were of different cultural backgrounds, and both sides of the family were critical, but they made it work because at the end of the day they loved each other, regardless of what other/family thought. What's most interesting is that both sides of the family learned to accept their union, and I think this was because they proved that they loved each other, and even though from different backgrounds, they had the same values as one another....family is important, but to walk away from the man you love over this suggests to me that its not the family your worried about, but something else.

This can be a disaster or not, depending on your fiancee. Are you going to live near his family? If so, I say run now. Run while you can. If not, there's hope if he identifies with you as his primary family rather than them.

Still sounds like a recipe for misery to me.
    Spammer Spanker