+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Not Quite Sure About Summer Split

Not Quite Sure About Summer Split

So here's the deal. My gf and I had been going out for almost a year when I graduated college back in May. She still has 3 years of college left at this point. For the summer, we are about 5 hours apart, but afterwards, we'll be closer to about an hour and a half. Things had been going really well with us for the whole year, never got into any big fights, never had any problems at all really. So we talked about what we wanted to do, with me saying I wanted to stay together, and her saying that she wasn't sure what she wanted to do. A couple key points that she brought up during it were that she didn't want to have anything happen with someone else during the summer and have me get pissed, and that she still wanted to talk. So we decided to make things unofficial between us for the summer.

Initially, I assumed that things were done. After a week, she's texting/calling me telling me to come visit her, and so we actually end up seeing each other a couple times so far and having an awesome time. We still talk to each other most days during the week, still tell each other we love each other, pretty much everything is exactly the same as it was before. So I kind of have a couple theories about this that I'd like some help sorting out:

1. This is her last summer at home with her friends, so she wanted to be able to enjoy it and maybe hook up with a guy or two without feeling held down by me at all or bad about anything. And then once the summer is over and we're fairly close together again, we'll see if we can make a long-distance thing work. And to be honest, I'm perfectly fine with this, it's not like I haven't been with anyone since her this summer.
    2. She's keeping in contact with me for the summer until she gets back to school and finds someone new. This would piss me off a bit, but again, it's not like I'm really losing anything by staying in contact with her now.
    3. She's keeping in contact with me, isn't going to get back with me, and is going to try to do this for awhile until she's done with school. This doesn't fly with me, just because it'll be a huge hassle and strain on both of us I feel, especially once we start dating other people. So in all honestly, this is not something that I want to see happen, and I won't really let it.

So those are kind of the ways that I see this unfolding. Would appreciate some input as to what you guys think it is, since I really have no experience with any kind of distance thing or with actually talking to your exes/WhateverThisIs once you're done with them. And if you have any other theories, let me know.
    Last edited by achilles9; 23-07-09 at 10:10 AM.

She doesn't know either

It sounds like you think she has a complicated plan in place and isn't letting you in on it. I think she is not sure about committing to you and wants to live a little before settling down, and the closest answer is your number one option.
    She is smart and knows that in three years at college something is bound to happen and she doesn't want to end up breaking your heart and being a bad person if that does happen. Basically, she wants to leave her options open. She does like you, that's why she is concerned about hurting you. But she wants to live life and see what happens. If nothing happens, she might learn you are the one. But if she meets someone else special, she hopes you will understand.

Update

Ok, so I've figured out that there's also a little pattern to when I hear from her. I get a lot of texts on Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights, with my thinking being that she's checking up on me to see if I'm out and with other girls or anything. Normally, it's stuff like, "I miss you" or "I can't wait to see you again", stuff like that. Last night, I get one that says, "So this guy I'm with thinks that I'm really hot, are you jealous of him?" I wasn't really pissed that she was with another guy since we're not an item or anything, but I wasn't really happy that she was just flaunting it in my face and everything. Maybe I'm completely misreading everything, but is she just being really insecure about everything now and trying to show me that she's alright without me, or is there something else going on here that I don't understand?

Man, just sever contact with her. You're doing this to yourself.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

I mean I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here. I'll be honest, I have absolutely no clue since I never really was into the whole relationship thing before this girl. Before her, the longest I stayed with a girl was for maybe a month or so, just because I would get bored with her and move on to someone else. I moved around a lot, it's not like this is the first girl I've ever hooked up and I need to be with her and no one else. But this was the first girl who I actually liked spending time with and wanted to really see. So I'm just trying to figure out the best way to see this through at this point and figure out what she wants to do with me. I know it might put some extra stress on me, but I'm just looking for some ideas here.