+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Overcoming Shyness in Dating

Overcoming Shyness in Dating

It is often very stressful for a person to date or even try to date when they’re shy. A shy person is often anxious or uneasy around the opposite sex and in dating situations. Many shy people are wrongly getting tabbed as being snobbish or weird, when in fact they simply lack self-confidence and uncertain how to communicate their feelings. The fear of rejection can be oftentimes the cause of shyness in dating.

If you are one of those people who struggles with timidity in dating, this tips may help you overcome your shyness:

* Perfect your posture. Pull your stomach in when standing. Your spine would naturally align and your back is straightened. An erect posture can give out a sign of confidence. Practice doing this until it looks natural.

* Avoid crossing your arms. Crossing your arms while you’re talking to another person can make you look defensive. This can be stand-offish sometimes.

* Make yourself easy to talk to. When you meet someone you are interested in, be curious about this person. Ask open-ended questions and talk about mutual interests to keep the conversation going.

* Try to make the first move. Stand close enough to the person you want to have a conversation with. Catch their eye and smile briefly. When they smile back and make direct eye contact, they are open to talking. Striking up a conversation first may seem difficult at first, but you would get used to it once more and more people talk to you, slowly building up your confidence.

* Give a compliment. If you don’t know how to start a conversation, give a compliment. Make a truthful compliment at the other person you want to talk to. However, steer clear from the obvious body parts. Say something that will make the other person proud, such as his or her laugh, positive attitude, or confidence among others. Remember, be honest.

* Watch their reaction. If the person is happy to continue chatting with you, their smile would get wider, they would move closer and lean towards you. If they don’t instantly drip with enthusiasm, don’t worry because other people get nervous too.

Bonus tip: When asking people out, start by chatting the the new person about the activity you are both participating in and then ask them if they would like to get together some other time. A brief coffee or lunch usually works best.
    Ban me ban me!

Gee thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfykun View Post
    * Perfect your posture. Pull your stomach in when standing. Your spine would naturally align and your back is straightened. An erect posture can give out a sign of confidence. Practice doing this until it looks natural.

* Avoid crossing your arms. Crossing your arms while you’re talking to another person can make you look defensive. This can be stand-offish sometimes.
    WHAT? I have to have perfect posture and I can't cross my arms? Should I start balancing books on my head? lol.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Spam. Noobs.
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

Quote Originally Posted by PussyCatDoll View Post
    Spam. Noobs.
    I'm pretty sure this information is already under dating advice and may have been copy and pasted from there. <.<
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Good tips...
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

You forgot to mention drinking copious amounts of alcohol can also help

thanks for some helpful advice

The ultimate advice: Be in the right place at the right time. See the faintest sparkle in her eye and just say, "Hi." Besides learning how to eat with your mouth closed, maintain proper hygiene, and take a bra off with one hand, you are well on your way to overcoming shyness.

Okay, a bit tongue-in-cheek, but not totally....