alright im new at this,

i am currently a student at a university where i met this girl and we hit off right away. shes beautiful intelligent athletic everything i could ask for in a girl
we start hanging out and i can tell she is into me but like all great things in life theres a problem
she just got back from studying abroad in south america for the summer where she met someone. they spent two months together and when she left she really had feeling for him
so at the moment im now her friend that she hangs out with all the time almost dailiy and her soccer/salsa dance partner. we look and act just like a couple but were not which kills me on the inside especially when she talks about how they barely talk. thing is she really likes this guy but he goes to school to school in south america and lives in mexico. so she wants to try and do an international long distance relationship and the guy says that he kinda sees her as a gf which means he can do what he wants but will flip when she does something wrong

my problem is

do i stay close and be her friend and then if they have a fallin out i get ****ed over because ether im too close or she wont want to date for a while? idk any advice will help. she just left here a few minutes ago. she says we are friends but i know its only because the guy shes with and i told her i would respect her relationship.