+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Need some good advice

Need some good advice

Sorry, this is a kind of long story. I have been with my bf for four and a half years. We got engaged about six months ago. We have had our ups and downs, but I have remained positive and we have worked through our problems. We have been living together for three of our years together, we have completely intwined our lives. Lately, we have had more and more problems. First, we are having money problems (but who isn't). I got promoted at work, so we see each other less and less. We have decided that he gets to do whatever he wants on Saturdays (I work on Saturdays) and that we would spend the day together on Sundays. Other than that, we maybe see each other an hour a day the rest of the week. Lately, when Saturday comes, he hangs out with one of his friends who is getting divorced from his wife. They go out drinking, most of the time it's from noon until whenever I pick them up. My BF gets crazy drunk every time he is with this other guy, and he turns into someone he isn't normally. It's like he's two different people. This weekend, I picked him up at 8pm, he stumbled to the car and fell asleep on the way home. When we got home, he started drinking again and spilled all over the couch. By this point, I had had it. I told him to sleep in the guest room. It seems like we get in these fights more and more lately. When he isn't drinking, he is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. I am starting to doubt getting married to him. I've always been optimistic, and I've always betted on love, but when is it enough? When do you actually give up?

I'm hoping he can be the man I marry. I'm hoping we can work this out. I just don't know how. We have talked about it, he says I'm over reacting, and somehow he makes it ok. Then we get along during the week, and Saturday hits again.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, or has any advice, please let me know. I'm all ears.

DON'T mary him! He's an alcaholic. He needs help. Get him into a program like AA if you can. IF he can get his act together and have a decent period of sobriety, then you can consider moving the relationship foward. But trust me, if you marry him now, divorce is ineveitable.