+ Follow This Topic

Thread: British men

British men

I am an American woman who is spending a year on a work exchange in UK. I am nearly 6 months into this, and I am surprised that no-one has asked me out on a date - in the US people consider me to be quite approachable.

I have gotten to know a handful of guys here, but despite being generally funny and interesting, they do not appear to be in any hurry to ‘snap me up’. I thought that this sort of behavior was mostly associated with Oriental guys, but it seems like the Brits appear to share this characteristic too. The big exception being whenever I go to a bar, the men turn into the most alcohol-powered unbearable loud-mouthed braggarts that you have ever seen, and they cannot seem to keep their eyes off me.

Have British ‘blokes’ been emasculated beyond recognition? Or is this simply part of their general upbringing? Or, do they secretly harbor certain assumptions about American women? I would like to hear both lads and ladies view on this.

Maybe they are playing hard to get
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    do you minding posting a photo?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They are generally reserved. You have to win by wit, not will.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Have you asked any of these men out?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    They are generally reserved. You have to win by wit, not will.
    I agree with this, short of the drunken larger lout I think in general we are quite reserved. Test the water, strike up a conversation and see how things progress. Less likely to be upfront and blunt.

Thats just me and my experiences though from myself and people I know.

Lee

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm married to one. I speak from experience.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You are an American, so, are you fat?

Then again, a lot of brits are fat too....

In Europe, they simply don't like Americans, especially in Britain because they speak proper english there.
    Don't expect anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, I'm assuming you meant the OP, Boobaa.

But I'm not fat. Not American either.

As for proper english, you've never heard a cockney accent have you? Horrid. Apparently, Canadians were used as interpreters b/t Americans and Brits in WWII b/c we could understand and converse with both.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

My post was directed to Nancy, not you, Indi.
    Don't expect anything.

Hey,

I'm half American but born and raised in Britain so I know exactly what is going on here I believe...

Britain just does not have the same dating culture. We are a lot more reserved and we don't tend to have dates as much as launching into relationships. It seems to be more common here for people to be friends for a while first before 'dating'. I'm not really sure why this is. Reservedness? Politeness? Just a difference in culture?

But it is typically British.

No strong dating culture so it's harder to just ask people out. More chance of rejection I suppose. We don't tend to just go on a few dates to test the water.

Hope this helps.

S

Agree with Sashavangenius, it is not the same dating culture in Britain as in America. What S says goes for a lot of other European countries too, you don't just ask somebody out for a date, you become friends, hang out for a bit, and THEN maybe go on a proper date.
    "If you love life, life will love you back."

Arthur Rubinstein

Quote Originally Posted by NancyD View Post
    Have British ‘blokes’ been emasculated beyond recognition? Or is this simply part of their general upbringing? Or, do they secretly harbor certain assumptions about American women? I would like to hear both lads and ladies view on this.

If I weren't American already I'd say "Leave it to an American to assume quiet men in another country are somehow emasculated." Ugh

I tend to like British men, they can be a bit refreshing compared to the more 'smash and grab' tactics of American men... and Canadian men usually have a demeanor that is more or less inbetween the two extremes.

Next time, try to see if this is just a cultural thing before assuming a country's men are somehow emasculated. British men are far from being emasculated.

Yes, the dating culture is very different in Europe. British guys will def. show when they are interested, they´ll strike a conversation, be friendly, be flirty, but nothing as "formal" as asking you out on a date.
    If you want to experience truly emasculated men who won´t show a spark of interest on any girl, even topmodel hot, try to go to scandinavia lol. You´ll never ever be bothered again !