+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Really fallen for a guy - why I am melancholy?

Really fallen for a guy - why I am melancholy?

A few days ago I met a guy for this first time and there was instant attraction/chemistry between us. I've never met anyone like him before (I'm 27) and we've seen each other for the last three nights in a row. I feel a connection with him that I've never felt with anyone else and we've already been expressing in emails our feelings and its all mutual. I feel totally head over heels and can't stop thinking about him.

The problem is that he lives 5000 miles away and is only in town visiting. In the evenings when I see him I feel absolutely euphoric, confident, smitten and we can talk for hours and never get bored. Moreover I have never had sex like this before - the connection we have is mindblowing.

The next day in work though I feel like crying. I can't concentrate on anything and I feel like nothing else but in life matters. All I can think about is him. I struggle through the day until I can see him again. What's wrong with me and why I can't I feel "happy" and balanced? Although he lives 5000 miles away I am going to be in his country anyway on a business trip in 6 weeks. We're both the same age and mobile professionals. Its not inconceivable that we could enter into a relationship in the future.

I've been figuring out the difference between love and infatuation and I'm starting to think that the feelings we are showing and expressing towards each other are love. They say you KNOW when you've been in love. Until now I have never been in love. Now I feel like I am in love and its a wonderful feeling when we are together.

Any help or advice would be really apprecicated.

RST

You are going through one ofthe first stages of the love feelings. the feelings of longing and extreme closeness as well and euphoria as you said. this is natural but it can be troublesome because you can get really depressed, as you said you do, when the other isn't around. this stage can last from anywhere a few weeks to months.

i sugegst you try to get yourself over this part sooner than later. because then you can start to view eachother as a couple and not just "lovebirds". it's not uncommon for these feelings to happen and they last so long that once they end things just fizzle out right away and then they end up feeling no more of that and think their relationship has no future and breaking up. if you can try to end the euphoric stage and slow down just a little.

Yes, you know when/if you've fallen in love.

I thought I'd been in love until I met this guy recently. THEN I realized what I felt before was just infatuation. Being in love is something different. When we'd planned to see each other I would feel nervous for several days before meeting him and when we talked I felt like I could talk to him for days and weeks. He made me want to become a better person, and I just had this feeling that I would love him no matter what would happen to him.

If you are in doubt you're probably in the early stages of infatuation which could later develop into love.

It sounds like you are in love. It's quite natural to feel melancholic/depressed when you are away from the person you are in love with.
    But be careful, don't let yourself fall to deep until you've got to know him a bit more.

Enjoy his company and just let things unveil naturally. If he feels the same about you, the distance doesnt necessarily have to be a problem.
    Last edited by ellie; 15-09-09 at 12:01 AM.
    "If you love life, life will love you back."

Arthur Rubinstein

The way I see it, you won't know if it's love until the infatuation has passed. Love is what's left.

See him on your business trip and if it's just as intense, you may have to start making a plan.
    Spammer Spanker

Thanks for the replies everyone! He left the day before yesterday after we spent 7 days together. We articulated that our feelings were mutual and we shared some truly special moments in the final days that we'll never forget. I don't know what will happen in the future and every once in a while a longing and subtle insecurity creeps into my thoughts but the feeling I have for him now makes me feel energized, not paralysed. I'm flying out to see him in 16 days and then I'll know everything for sure.