+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What is the difference between friendliness and flirting?

What is the difference between friendliness and flirting?

I often confuse the two. Is there a fool-proof way that I can get around confusing this and asking out girls who aren't interested, but are friendly?

You're not the only one. I've the same problem. One way is to watch their body language and try to get into their 'personal space bubble'. People who are not interested in more than friendship will usually pull away when someone gets physically close that they aren't interest in. Whereas friends can sometimes flirt verbally with each other in a "friendly" way and it doesn't always mean there's romantic interest, it's just friendliness.

Don't think there's a fool-proof way. There's often a confusion as to whether it's just friendship or interest when you get to know someone.

You could always ask, but it might make things a bit awkward afterwards...
    "If you love life, life will love you back."

Arthur Rubinstein

Quote Originally Posted by ellie View Post
    You're not the only one. I've the same problem. One way is to watch their body language and try to get into their 'personal space bubble'. People who are not interested in more than friendship will usually pull away when someone gets physically close that they aren't interest in.
    Will try this. I always try to maintain good body language, I'll look for mirroring etc.

My problem is that I quickly get infatuated with any girl who shows a "good" response. I can now, however, forget about girls really easily (more so than in the past, the worst I had was a crush for over 2 years before I asked her).

Quote Originally Posted by Syph View Post
    My problem is that I quickly get infatuated with any girl who shows a "good" response.
    I know, me too. It happens easily that you get infatuated with friends. They're nice, always there for you etc.

But the physical contact thing is a quite good way of telling. However, that, too can be difficult - if you're good friends you tend to hug a lot, touch each other alot etc.

The eyes say a lot, too. Usually I can tell just by the way they look at me.

Sorry maybe that didn't help too much. As I said, I've the same problem as you lol
    "If you love life, life will love you back."

Arthur Rubinstein

On the surface, this looks like such a simple question but the more I think, the more difficult this question gets. ahhhhhhh

My only advice is to flirt with her and see if she responds positively and if she does, keep going.