+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comics: Who Reads 'Em?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Comics: Who Reads 'Em?

Never was much interested in comics as a kid. Sure, I picked up an issue or two of The Amazing Spider-Man and I had a stack of comics bequeathed me by an older cousin. But aside from that, never really touched the stuff.

Coworker approached me today. She's an artist, and a damn good one. When she isn't developing images for ads she's producing stuff for some of the video games you deadbeats play. She wants me to help write a comic with her. Partly for fun, partly so she can develop a portfolio.

Cute girl. Nerdy hobby. Writing. **** yeah, I'm all aboard.

Like I said, though, I don't know comics worth a goddamn.

I've been doing my research and I've found several of my favorite writers also produce graphic novels. I knew there was some adult stuff floating around, just never realized such big names were dabbling in it.

So any of you read comics? Any of you have suggestions? I'm thinking about picking up an issue of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. I want to do some reading and get a feel for what this stuff is all about so I can actually pull my weight and maybe come up with something that ain't half bad. Writing is all about reading. You want to write, you better read, read, read, and when you're done with that, read some more.

So, yeah, suggestions please!
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nope.

I have a few Aliens and Predator comics from back in the day, but I was never really an enthusiast.

Used to be into comic books when I was younger... even had a collection. Such things as:

The Amazing Spider-man
    The Spectacular Spider-man
    The Uncanny X-men
    Spawn

and a few others that didn't quite make it... as I was really interested in the newer comics at the time.

Friend of mine had a comic book collection dating back to the 1960's... so really had a chance to see how comic books have evolved.

What kind of comic does she want to create? Usually there's two sides with the typical good and evil.. but there are also comic books that are less clear with far more complex characters. And then some don't even bother with the whole 'good-bad' bit, and are based more on humor or telling real life stories..... or satirical in some way.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oooo, Spawn was cool.

The thing I hated about comic book stories was that the stories become so complex and idiotic you almost had to read them from the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Oooo, Spawn was cool.

The thing I hated about comic book stories was that the stories become so complex and idiotic you almost had to read them from the first issue.

Yeah... that's kind of what led to me picking up first issues of new comics... I wanted to be able to catch them at the 'beginning.' Sadly, many of them were discontinued before they had a chance to really become anything.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's just the thing. I got no clue. I'm totally out of the loop. When I think comic books I think superheroes, so I'm naturally leaning in that direction.

We're definitely doing something serious and mature. No Archie comics stuff.

I got a couple ideas floating around, I just don't know if they're cliche, if they're total ripoffs, or if they fail to even coincide with modern tastes. I'll probably spend the better part of the day chatting her up at work tomorrow. See what she's got in mind and work from there.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

dandy and popeye, no superhero's. we didnt have much growing up so we got the yearly hardback books of multiple comic stories in dandy. i can;t remember the other ones it's been so long
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Big fan of the pictures here.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

A friend of mine draws graphic anime novels. He's getting pretty damn good - has quite the portfolio. Writes the stories and all. I won't be surprised if he gets into the business.

The one & only comic i read is dragonball...Full stop.

No other comic amused me...
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

I haven't touched comics since High school

But I have to admit I've been to "Kinokunya" Japanese book shop the other day where they had a huge comic section and some of the stuff there caught my eye. I've heard there are Clive Barker comics floating around somewhere, I'd like to get my hands on those.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Gribble, I like the way you think - so maybe you'd like the way I think:

Ok, only one comic book has ever made it to TIME magazine's top 100 best novels of all time.

Watchmen - Alan Moore

You saw the movie, now read the book (or maybe you didn't watch the movie - even better)

I'm serious, check that shit out.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah Watchmen is really incredibly good. I haven't seen the movie, I don't want to ruin it. The comic is really a bit of a masterpeice.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    yeah Watchmen is really incredibly good. I haven't seen the movie, I don't want to ruin it. The comic is really a bit of a masterpeice.

The movie was an utter disappointment... and just to rub salt in the wound... most of the movie involves seeing the blue guy naked. There was blue dick for nearly 90 minutes. I almost went completely gay.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's exactly the shit I'm looking for.

I didn't watch the Watchman, so nothing will be spoiled. Awesome. That goes in my cart.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast