+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes I hate the anonymity of this forum.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Sometimes I hate the anonymity of this forum.

Only because I feel like it's replaced the interactions I used to have with my friends back home. I was talking to one of my good highschool friends, and while sometimes play games on-line together, we don't often talk on the phone. But I we were on the phone the other day like two little school girls for almost an hour talking about random shit, (but mostly videogames), even after being disconnected twice.

It's like, f*ck, here's a perfectly good friend that I always enjoyed hanging out with, who I have a history with, and he's half way across the country. This is an occurrence I'm sure happens often, and it's kinda mind boggling as to why. Like, where are my priorities?

It's not even just him, there was a small group of us, and then there's my cousin and other family I actually enjoyed hanging out with.

And time for bed, got over-time in the morning.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Only because I feel like it's replaced the interactions I used to have with my friends back home.
    Yeah, I find I like some of the forum people more than real life ones. Maybe it's because if I get sick of them, I can just turn of the computer?

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was just thinking today, some of the people on this forum probably know me better than a lot of the people in real life.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Other than my girlfriend, I'm not close to any members on here at all. You guys get out enough?

Nah... I feel just about as distant with the people here as I do in real life. Occasionally I may post speculations or just voice feelings here as an outlet... but usually that's just for the sake of not having that spill over into real life. For the most part, what happens on this forum is usually inconsequential.

There are only three people that really matter in my life -- my dad, my brother, and my boyfriend. Everyone else is either a luxury or a short-term liability, either of which are subject to change.

I try to refrain from falling into the trap of people online being "friends", but where else can I go to get the brutal, honest, undistorted truth? That's a pretty important quality in friends.

This place is different than a video game on a multitude of levels.

If they're your friend on Facebook, does that make them like a half brother/sister?

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you've posted here for any length of time and feel absolutely no connection to anyone, I am inclined to think there is something wrong with you.

There are a few posters I really feel connected to... enough so that I think about them/their lives when not posting. They probably know who they are...

Well it would be nice for everyone to be somewhat centrally located so you could have monthly meetups for coffee or things like that for people who are interested. But then it's nice to learn from the experiences of people all over the world too.

Aeradalia, I know you're not that cut and dry, even though you think you are :-)

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Other than my girlfriend, I'm not close to any members on here at all. You guys get out enough?
    I used to, but I've pretty much given up on that.

The amount of effort it takes to find new people to hang out with has me burnt out. I spent the first year down here playing frisbee with this group, and we did a few things out of that, but I just didn't click with anyone. Not in the sense that I was reserved (because I wasn't at all), but after hanging out with 2 of them one on one with neither them or I having real interest in doing it again, I gave up on the whole thing. It's kinda like dating for friends. Instead of realizing how much I had in common with them, I realized how much I didn't have in common.

Plus, it can be hard to hang out with people down here when you're not fond of drinking.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you've posted here for any length of time and feel absolutely no connection to anyone, I am inclined to think there is something wrong with you.
    I agree with this

There are a few posters I really feel connected to... enough so that I think about them/their lives when not posting. They probably know who they are...
    On the contrary, I think if you are closer to people online on an anonymous forum moreso than people IRL I am inclined to think there is something wrong with you. Oh well, I suppose online friends are better than no friends at all.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're just mad because no one like you.

Does raging hatred count as a connection? If so, I agree; If not, I disagree.
    When in trouble,
    Or in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by chump4u View Post
    Does raging hatred count as a connection? If so, I agree; If not, I disagree.
    Raging hatred is a very strong emotion, so I would count that as an emotional connection.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    None of you are real! You are all just high-functioning computer programs!!

Discussed with LA a while back, but what will be neat is when there is enough bandwidth to do this kind of thing with something like Skype+ video.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast