+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking my wife's last name?

Neo and Gribble, you are both right tbh. Its just an opinion and people will place different amounts of importance or insignificance on it.

For me it doesn't matter, a drummer for KISS has the same exact name. GL finding me on a google search.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Thanks for the advice everyone. I notified her about it and she's ecstatic. We're going to city hall together to do it tomorrow.

I think it will be nice for one or two of your children to take your wife's last name, but I don't understand why you need to get rid of your last name.

Oh, please let us know how it turns out! And how her father reacts!

That is one helluva gesture and it's doppelgaenger-approved. If I knew someone who did such a thing, they'd have my highest respect.

I think you can download the proper paperwork from the internet for a reasonable price. You can legally change your name to damned well anything you like. There used to be a guy named Spinach Martian living here in Santa Fe.

Here. you actually have to go before a judge and testify that you're not changing your name to evade debt, etc.
    Spammer Spanker

I thought there would be troubles based on the following from an Associated Press article:

A new trend is surfacing in America and throughout the world where men are actually taking on their wife's last name instead of retaining their own. This sounds good for women on the surface. It is, however, proving to be more difficult than first anticipated for the men. Many states have no provision for this change of status and will not recognize, or even go so far as to disallow, such a change. Adding fuel to the fire is the fact that the men in question are often harassed by family and friends for their willingness to give up their name.

It seems rather silly to some here, but there's something about having the same last name resonates well with me. It's a way of saying, "I belong to you and I'm yours forever." I know that may seem ridicuolous, but that's fine. But it really means alot, and it doesn't hurt to show to what length you will go to make this marriage work.

I have spoken with both her parents. They were surprised to say the least. Her father kept urging me not to change my last name (out of respect for my own family) but I told him that since I have many brothers (who are fathers), it's not an issue. In the end, he consented to it and told me he was proud.

It was a good descision overall. My wife teases me about it, but it's all affectionate and everything. I'm definitely getting alot of husband points for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12