+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank of America

Bank of America

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5E0WNO7e_Q"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She deserved to be fired. If your job is to collect money you collect money. If your job is to break kneecaps, you break kneecaps. You don't like it find another job.

My aunt used to be a customs agent. Mothers would come to America with their sick children, desperate for medical attention. It was her job to look that pleading mother in the eye, to look that dying child in the ****ing eye, and tell them both they weren't welcome here.

She couldn't handle it. She quit. Someone who could handle it took up the position. Life continued as it should.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate bank of america.

My NORMAL CHECKING account went under 500 dollars.

500 dollars.

And they charged me a 15 dollar fee for that.

I dropped them as soon as I left Oklahoma.

BoA is a shitty bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    She deserved to be fired. If your job is to collect money you collect money. If your job is to break kneecaps, you break kneecaps. You don't like it find another job.

My aunt used to be a customs agent. Mothers would come to America with their sick children, desperate for medical attention. It was her job to look that pleading mother in the eye, to look that dying child in the ****ing eye, and tell them both they weren't welcome here.

She couldn't handle it. She quit. Someone who could handle it took up the position. Life continued as it should.
    What if your job is to execute people? Do you just execute them?

In both Nuremburg trials and recent Geneva trials, executors were sentenced for not resisting their orders and their superiors. That means there is a general consensus if job requirements call for actions which have severe moral implications they should be challenged by those who are placed to carry them out, otherwise they can be viewed as accomplices.
    Last edited by Mish; 11-12-09 at 11:28 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Like I said: if you can't handle it, quit.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I work for a bank and we don't do that shit. That's unconscionable.

I agree with Gribble in a way, though. If you don't like what you do in your job and don't agree with company policy, quit. Go somewhere that doesn't offend your morals.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree with Grib and Blue provided it IS you job description.

But, too many jobs are being compromised by management telling you to do something that isn't correct. So sure, you can quit. Often that's easiest. But I wonder if that attitude is why we are losing so many good: teachers, nurses, doctors, police officers. Even politicians. Dirty politics scares away a lot of good, intelligent people who truly want to serve their community/country. Which leaves us with pond scum to step up and fill the void.

Look at journalism, Grib. What happened to fact-checking and integrity? Lost to the crunch of the e-deadline and competition. Get the news out first, correct the errors later.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's not just that. The real problem is the disdain for actual journalism. Papers are in business to make money, not to inform. They do that by filling each page with advertisements. Filler--what you call news stories--occupies the gaps between ads. So rush, rush, rush to get stuff out first, but also rush because this is nothing more than a loss leader to draw attention to the pretty ads.

I saw that. I recognized it. I moved on. Now I make the ads and get a fair bit more dough than the schlub who's filling in the blanks for me.

Yeah, sorry for derailing. This stuff cracks me up.
    Last edited by Gribble; 11-12-09 at 12:53 PM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Get the **** outta here. If every collections agent was like her, the bank would either go bankrupt or have to really tighten up their policies on lending.

Yes, banks engage in predatory lending, but the customers are just as irresponsible and also to blame. If someone knocked on your door and asked to borrow $5000 to buy a car, would you let them? This is what banks are for and they take the risk of people not paying them back every time they lend out money. If you don't want to be in debt, then before you borrow money, make sure you can pay it back. If you can't, how is it fair to the bank to just let you off the hook or go easy on you?

I agree with Gribble's line of thinking - if you can't do what your boss tells you to do, find another job.

If I was the manager of a restaurant and one of my employees was giving out free food to the homeless on a consistent basis, I'd fire her ass. I'd admire her heart and morals but she's siphoning money out of the business. Don't make decisions for your boss, just do what they tell you to do.

As an employee, you have an obligation to keep the business' interests in mind when you make your decisions. And it's fine that that girl wanted to help people, but I don't think she sees the big picture of what would happen if every employee acted like her. They should dock a portion of her wages for every person she helps so she would see that this money she's handing out doesn't grow on trees and then perhaps she would exercise just a little bit more discretion in her decisions.
    Last edited by Sanctuary; 11-12-09 at 03:25 PM.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Not only should she quit her job, but more importantly, people should quit giving BoA business.

Because they suck.

boa was one of the biggest lenders of bad, variable rate mortgages that people could not afford and put people in severe debt.

evil.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    boa was one of the biggest lenders of bad, variable rate mortgages that people could not afford and put people in severe debt.

evil.
    Actually, that's because they were nice enough to pick up Countrywide Financial when it was going into bankruptcy; they didn't really enter the subprime market until then.

Let this be a lesson to people: always get a fixed rate on your mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post

Has nothing to do with not being able to handle it, whatsoever. This woman is pointing out a ****ed up corporate practice that she was willing to lose her job over. This girl has principles and its a complete and total lack of that amongst management at so many corporations that is a large part of the reason people are getting ****ed so hard day in and day out.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
    Get the **** outta here. If every collections agent was like her, the bank would either go bankrupt or have to really tighten up their policies on lending.

Yes, banks engage in predatory lending, but the customers are just as irresponsible and also to blame. If someone knocked on your door and asked to borrow $5000 to buy a car, would you let them? This is what banks are for and they take the risk of people not paying them back every time they lend out money. If you don't want to be in debt, then before you borrow money, make sure you can pay it back. If you can't, how is it fair to the bank to just let you off the hook or go easy on you?

I agree that customers are to blame for getting themselves into financial situations they can't get out of. I often tell young clients who want credit cards not to take them if they can't pay the balance off every month.

However, what BoA was doing is wrong. Charging a $15 'convenience fee' to make a payment? Charging an overlimit fee AND hiking the interest up to 29.99%? Come on. That's not recuperating a loss, that's rape. If a person couldn't consistently make their payments, I don't see what's wrong with putting them on that payment plan, as long as it included some interest to cover the banks loss.....but no extra 'fees', and take the damn card away.

I'm glad the girl in the video did speak out and tell people about BoA's bad collection practices (let's just hope they don't sue her), because someone needs to stand up to the powers that be. Maybe with enough exposure, BoA will realize the need to change it's practices.

Like I said, I work for a bank that doesn't do that, and we're one of the fastest growing financial institutions in North America. Why? Because we don't pull shit like this on our customers. Yeah, we're here to make money, but without happy customers, we don't make money. Take notes, BoA.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

The way a lot of banks operate is very deceitful. A bank that is interested in customer satisfaction and convenience would not send out credit card offers and offers for loans to consumers who haven't even opened an account with them. A lot of people are simply in debt because they live in poverty and they receive a credit card with a max of $10k and are deceived into using it without knowing the disadvantage they are being placed at. Banks are allowed to be deceitful, and the general public is not well-informed about that. There needs to be more laws protecting citizens from these loan sharks.

I was taught in high school to avoid using credit cards or taking out loans. My teachers always made sure we knew what was best for us before we went into the real world. I wish there were more teachers like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast