+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Irony, my cruel friend, we meet again

Irony, my cruel friend, we meet again

I've been dating this girl, let's call her Lolita for privacy's sake, for over a year. Yeah, we've occasionally had fights, but nothing out of the norm. We were actually really happy together, or so I thought. I can at least say that she made me the happiest I've ever been in my entire life. Unfortunately, my Korean mother doesn't approve the fact that I fell in love with a black girl, but as she is usually out of the state on business, it's never really been a problem. However, my mom returned earlier this month for a prolonged stay.

This really limited my ability to see Lolita. With no means of communication, I started to feel sad. I missed her so much, and she always cheers me up when we talk. She's like an oasis for my soul. Throughout the entire month, I've just been daydreaming about how happy I would be when we finally got the chance to talk. My mom left town again for a short period of time. I saw this as an opportunity to reconnect with Lolita, but I was disappointed when she didn't reply to my messages. I started to leave messages more frequently, then started to get worried. I knew she was still okay; she still updated her facebook, after all. She finally posted something on my wall - a playlist.

1. Katy Perry – Thinking Of You
    2. Gnarls Barkley/Chris Milk – Who’s Gonna Save My Soul?
    3. Bomb The Music Industry! – I Don’t Love You Anymore
    4. My Chemical Romance – I Don’t Love You
    5. Taylor Swift – Fifteen
    6. Jesse McCartney – It’s Over

The irony? I wanted to show her the playlist I put together for her...
    1. Jack Johnson – Better Together
    2. Gomez – Girlshapedlovedrug
    3. Phish – Joy
    4. Bob Schneider – Forty Dogs
    5. Ingrid Michaelson – Everybody
    6. Jason Mraz – I’m Yours
    7. Tally Hall – The Whole World and You
    8. Snow Patrol – Crack the Shutters
    9. The Beatles – And I Love Her
    10. 311 – Love Song
    11. They Might Be Giants – New York City

I miss her so much. But the breakup was at least civil, though upsetting for me. I actually threw up after she told me it was over. She just said that she fell out of love with me. Ironically, I was falling more deeply in love with her. I don't particularly enjoy her method and timing, but as the French say: "That's life."

Moving on is hard. I've taken to using Nyquil and anti-anxiety medication to help me sleep and hanging out with friends, namely my best friend who's been through a similar breakup but came out a better person for it. I'm not like him though. I appreciate his sympathy, but I'm dealing with this situation uniquely. I mean, doesn't everyone? Sure, we all have experienced the misfortune of heartbreak, but that does little to console me. Sobriety is my least favorite state of mind right now and I'm in a bit of a stupor now thanks to modern medicine. I suspect I have to move on, but for now, I'll have to content myself with this constant, throbbing pain in my chest.

face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity

I am going through something similar to you. I used to love this girl and we were perfect for each other. We were always happy together and did almost everything with each other. I was going out with her for almost 2 years and in the last three months, I started College and didn't have as much time or money to go out and do fun things anymore. I could only see her a couple times a week because of all the school work and job work that I had. She eventually told me that "the feeling" she once had was gone and said that it was over. I tried so hard for her to re-think things and try to work things out, but she told me that she had been feeling like that for a while and there was no going back. It's tough to just let someone who you love so much just leave you life like that, but hey, it happens to the best of us. The pain you are feeling is definately normal, and i'll tell you I went through it to, and still am. It gets less and less everyday that passes by, but every once and a while, i'll think about her and the good times, and it will all come rushing back again. Like the famous saying says, "Time heals all wounds." It is very true and the only thing that you can do to try to get over this is to just simply not contact her anymore and try to move on.