+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need to lose weight >.< (long post)

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You probably don't like them because they are going to tell you things you don't want to hear or make you try things that you don't want to try.

Okay your "sandwich" is normal now that I know what you're talking about.

Try cereal with some 1% milk and 1 peice of fruit?

no vash is 100% right, you can get all sorts of tips on here but i as yet am not qualified to give advice and certainly not online like a nutritionist could. a nutritionist will definitely be worth the money because they know how food works with the body.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    no vash is 100% right, you can get all sorts of tips on here but i as yet am not qualified to give advice and certainly not online like a nutritionist could. a nutritionist will definitely be worth the money because they know how food works with the body.
    I know you're right... But I feel like it should be the last thing to try before I go there so I can tell them everything that I've already tried before so it's easier for them to decided what I should do... Maybe I'm just being stupid thinking that >.<
    ~The 3 things needed for Happiness: Something to do, Something to love and something to hope for.~

I am no expert, take everything I say with a large grain of salt.

lhn is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Don't ignore the post I put up... its worth the read
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    jeez i turn every argument round on a man, why take the blame if hes stupid enough to let you blame him about something totally different

Sasaki, do you speak Dutch?

Anyway, my body prefers to be heavier. For some people its very easy to lose weight and stay slim, for others its a lot of work, for me its always been a pretty serious time investment, and I never cheat when it comes to food, I always have a plan to get my caloric goals each day. After a while its automatic and you never even think about it, the habits are just so ingrained that you don't even notice it, but in the beginning it can be a struggle.

Do four things if you want to lose weight:

1) Figure out your caloric needs:

[url]http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm[/url]

I entered for 25 your age, based on your height and weight you need to eat 1660 calories per day to maintain your weight, assuming you don't exercise.

2) Track your calories:

Each day, set a goal for yourself in terms of the calories you want to consume. That doesn't mean you need fewer than 1660 calories each day, you can eat more every now and then, but it does mean you should track everything. Its very easy to cheat, a slice of bread you don't count, a quick snack here, a soda, and an extra cookie. And all of the sudden you've added 600 calories, a lot of it fat. Track all your food intake, if you can't know exactly, guesstimate how much it is. You can always google the calories in a food to get a rough estimate.

Also, try to eat greater amounts of protein, vegetables, and cut back on fats, starches, and unhealthy carbs. Pick the right calories, it makes it easier.

3) Exercise

If you eat 1700 calories in a day, and burn an additional 400 calories in exercise, then you have effectively consumed 1300 calories. That means you have a caloric deficit of 360 calories.

The rule of thumb is, for every 3500 calories that you burn more than you eat, you lose 1lb of body weight, so 8000 calories for a kilo. If you can run a deficit of 400 calories a day for a week, thats 7 x 400 calories = 2800 calories. In 3 weeks, thats a kilo. That might not seem very fast, but its the most reliable way to lose fat, and not just body weight.

Additionally, if you build muscle tone your body will burn more calories at rest, making it easier to lose weight, and allowing you to eat more food without it converting into fat.

4) Track your progress:

There's a lot of ways to track your progress. You can have your body fat % tested (I used to have a personal trainer but I've learned how to use body weight calipers so I test my BF % once a week), this can be done at a gym. You can just track your weight (although this won't tell you if you've lost fat and gained muscle). And you can take pictures, and compare your progress over time, allowing you to see how your body is changing.

Its very important that you track your progress because when you feel like you're not getting anywhere, this feedback can show you whether your method is flawed or whether you're actually reaching your goals, even if it seems slow. Feedback can keep you motivated, and it can help you better understand what does and does not work for your specific body chemistry.

Its very important that you track your progress. You said that you've done these sports and they haven't helped you lose weight, its very possible that they've helped you lose fat, which they replaced with muscle, while your body weight stayed pretty constant because your diet didn't shift much.

Last but not least: there's no such thing as a diet. You can't follow a diet and then stop it. Your body has a preference for how much weight it stores. If you go back to your old habits, your body is going to go back to its old weight. The only way to stay slim is to keep these habits for life. I used to eat whatever I liked and I had like an extra 20lbs on my body that gave me a spare tire that I had to suck in. Nowadays I always watch what I eat, and sure some foods are tempting, but I've kept my eating habits for 5-6 years now and I know what happens if I start slacking. You have to make a commitment to change the way you eat and exercise.

Good luck, and keep at it.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

I do I do ^^ I really appreciate your Dutch post. I must say I was very surprised though O.O
    I'm sorry I didn't say I read your post. Now you translated for me >.< I read this one too though

EDIT: I will keep you posted with my progress
    Last edited by sAsAk1; 19-01-10 at 04:48 AM.
    ~The 3 things needed for Happiness: Something to do, Something to love and something to hope for.~

I am no expert, take everything I say with a large grain of salt.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    you might find this weird, but your body is already used the cycling that it probably does on a daily basis. you're not doing anything new or strenuous to your body, so it doesn't have to adapt to burn the excess fat that you want to lose. if you really want to lose weight, you probably won't have to change your diet, but you might want to include some weight training and other various cardio activities like running. if you keep changing your workouts, your body will have to adapt to burn the fat off.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

It all depends on what kind of look you are looking for. It sounds like you used to be very active so if you are looking for an athletic look, you can't cut out carbs. I know the Atkins diet boasts about how low carbs are the way to go, but what the Atkin's is based on is cutting carbs so low that your body is forced to switch to an alternative form of energy that you get from fat. Even though you think you are easing on it, switching from glucose to ketones (Atkins) is really messing with your body and nobody that is active would want to do that. That's why it was easy for you to lose some weight at first but gain it all back. Sorry if I'm a big nerd, I did my senior presentation on it.

Calculating your calories and just eating less than that can work too, you lose body mass, but you also lose alot of muscle tone too. I did that when I was 240 after 3 years of college and it took alot of miserable and consistant starving and lots of working out inbetween to get down to where I am today (180). It's something that takes months for results, its so easy to lose your purpose especially if you rush into it too eagerly. I think most guys like a girl that's healthy and not stick thin anyway, at least I do. Little junk in the trunk!

There's no secret here, but the quickest results are dieting and exercise together. When you exercise you don't need to starve yourself because you will be using more energy and it will ease you into it. When you exercise it has to be consistant though. Maybe you haven't thought of this, but you might want to throw some weightlifting into your regiment too. I know you don't want to be this bulky ass German freakshow woman, but lifting weights even for tone will help you increase your metabolism. Mix that in with cardio and you body will be using up so much energy. Sounds like you had a good diet thing going, as long as it's organic and not processed with high amounts of fat you should be fine. I could message you a workout plan and a diet plan if you need to. I actually find that kind of stuff fun.
    Last edited by cmacattack1; 19-01-10 at 12:26 PM.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

I'm looking for some weight loss advice too since the only thing that ever worked for me was extended fasting. I have heard that cutting out "white" flour and foods (white bread, potatoes, rice, pastries, etc.) can help a lot, and to also stay away from high fructose corn syrup. And you must cut down on your calorie intake...I'd say about to 1000-1200 calories a day. Keeping a food journal is a great way to ensure you don't overdo it on calories, and a great free online one that I use is located here: [url]http://my-calorie-counter.everydayhealth.com/Journal.asp[/url]

It is actually possible to lose weight without exercising, and it has even been theorized that exercise does not actually help you lose weight. It helps improve body function (like heart strength and overall strength), but may possibly not help lose the extra cellulite off your backside. I am kind of believing this since I worked out every other day for 30-40 minutes and ate no more than 1100 calories a day for six months...didn't lose even a fraction of an inch off my waist. Then I somehow managed to gain back all the weight within a week without making any changes to my diet beyond maybe missing a day of exercise...don't ask me how I went from 167 to 190 in a week because I don't know either. The exercise made me feel good, but I am convinced it didn't do a damn thing for my weight. And you need to keep up the exercise every single day for the rest of your life...it won't be a matter of doing it for a while and then being able to stop when you reach your ideal weight. You have to keep up what you're doing forever to maintain that shape.

My own humble advice would be to rely on a diet mostly and a little on exercising.

Burn more calories then you take in. Approx 3500 calorie difference = 1 pound. Google for calorie intake calculators.

Good luck

This needs to be discussed with any healthcare professional or a nutritionist as vashti said.
    Though my best friend see's one herself and says she never really liked the advice she was given.
    You may have a functional problem. But if this is affecting your confidence about yourself
    then do not worry at all because there are a lot of people out there that find people with more
    weight on them is sexy and attractive. I recently saw a programme regarding this subject.
    But just remember no matter what everyone has their imperfections but if you look deep down
    you will realise you really are attractive because personality is also a factor when it comes to meeting
    someone. Though it is your decision whether or not you want to be thin, I wish you luck and hope
    everything goes well for you.

Sapphire x

I use to be overweight, my doctor told me about all of these diets and they all failed. I simply cut out fried foods, added fruits and vegetables, cut back on junk food, which was a good start. From personal experience dieting alone never worked, I simply got into long distance running, started out running a mile in 15 minutes, 6 years later I am doing it in 5. It takes a lot of persistance and at times you will be tired as heck, but the key is to get into a good cardio workout routine. Running, biking, and swimming are all pretty cheap to free to do and if your a busy person you can just do your workout whenever your free. For starters, try exercising every other day for 30 minutes and every week keep building up. With the soda comment, cut it completely or cut back, that is a killer for anyone's diet.

listen to the post above bout the whole caloric intake thing, have an adequate amount of fat, alternate between cardio/resistance day by day(have a rest day inbetween) and you can try to have 5-6 smaller meals per day to increase metabolism =P

oh yea and try and do sprint intervals for cardio instead of long boring running. If you sprint for like 1 minute(full intensity pace) for about 3 times in one running session, you'll lose more weight overnight(once again, increases your metabolism...), and besides, as you get better with cardio, your body gets better at utilizing your fats for energy so you'll just be burning the same amount of cals from 20 minutes week 1, to 30 minutes week 4 of your diet =P

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Try maybe low-carbohydrate diet? Lol ,Ì've heard about it recently and I think it's pretty good so I advise it to everybody

[url=http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolhydraatarm_dieet]Koolhydraatarm dieet - Wikipedia[/url]
    I wazzzz here

(152 pounds and 5.2 feet)
    That is a bit heavy. Your ideal weight for a female 5'2" is 122 pounds. Your healthy weight ranges from 109 to 136 pounds.

Cycling actually doesn't burn very many calories. What you need to do is start jogging or running. For every mile you jog, you burn about 100 calories regardless of how fast or slow you go. If you jog 2 miles each day, that's 200 calories a day. In a 5 day period you'll burn 1000 calories. At that rate you'll lose a pound every month. If you eat 500 less calories per day, you'll lose weight even faster.

If you're new to running, remember to take it slow - only run 3 days a week, and do not run during week 3. After week 3, you can start increasing your mileage. Remember to run with proper form - you can look that up on youtube. I hope this helps. If you'd like to know more about running, let me know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast