+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Rough start, forgiveness...

Rough start, forgiveness...

Hello everyone,

I'm asking myself if any of you who are in serious relationships had a rough start into the relationship, and managed to overcome problems with time and develop a healthy long-lasting relationship. My relationship with the fiancee started out really badly. There were some mistakes on his part that were hard to get over. I had to be very patient for our relationship to develop and for the last year, we've started anew and are having a really good time together. It took a lot of effort on my part though, and a lot of forgiveness. Did any of you experience something like that?

Yes. I definitely did. I thought I'd have to take him out into the desert and shoot him a few times. I almost called off our wedding.

His judgment was terrible and he had some pretty deeply ingrained single guy behaviors that had to go. I, myself, had to change even more than he did, become softer and more forgiving, try to see his point of view with compassion.

It wasn't easy, but I think it's going to work. You're not alone in this.
    Spammer Spanker

We haven't really had any rough patches rather small hurdles once in awhile. Our past relationships are quite different...he was married (at age 20) and has full custody of 2 kids and after his marriage was in a long term relationship with one woman and thats it for him in relationships. Only been with the two women. I on the otherhand have always been kind of a free bird and never wanted to settle down til my late 20's. I've had more relationships than him, no marriage, no kids. I've moved around more while he's always been in the same area. I've partied more and he was on lock down by his wife and never got to leave the house.

The glue that keeps us together though is we both have a good sense of humor. I can be a little more of the worrier but he always makes me laugh in the end and has assured me since the begining that we can get through anything. He has so much on his plate and takes care of so much but I love to be the one to take care of him. I love him so much.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?