+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need workout advice.

I need workout advice.

I have brought some weights about two weeks ago. I have been doing exercises from this website. [url]http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html[/url]
    I workout one or two muscles a day, and let them rest for 3 days. I try to workout 5 days a week working out different muscles. I am trying to gain up to 10 pounds of muscle, and more if I can get to my first goal of 10 pounds.

I'm trying to eat healthy. I try to not to drink sodas. I rarely drink one on. I most drink water and juice. I eating a diet filled with chicken so I am getting protein. I do not skip meals. I eat my meats, fruits, vegis, and wheat.Almost everything I eat has some protein.

Does anyone have any workout tips for me? I am doing everything right?

I have a high metabolism. Workout articles state that I have to ear allot more food. I have to eat between 3000 and 3500 calories a day. Is this true? Can I build muscle on a normal diet?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well, if you're going to work out, especially for muscle building, you're body will need more nutrients and calories. your body is trying to build itself and you should put your protein intake. 3500 cals is usually a normal diet, but you might have to add a couple thousand more cals.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Try adding some protein shakes/powders, and creatine.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i used to take muscle milk and it actually worked. i never really thought about it, but i stopped taking it years ago, and i actually lose some muscle mass as well as weight. it'll help you put on the 10 extra pounds that you are looking for.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I've read fitness magazines and they actually recommend limiting calorie intake to build muscles as crazy as it sounds. They recommend you take in about 1900-2000 calories a day with most of it coming from protein obviously. 350-400 g protein, fat 40 g, carbs 90 g. You can get those protein grams easy from whey protein, and since it's the fastest metabolized protein, a whey protein shake right after a workout will get you results. Like you were doing before, vegetables, chicken, skim milk, they are all good for that kind of thing.

It all depends on what kind of look you are going for: huge or cut. If you are looking for getting just huge, then yeah, lots of calories are good and as long as you are getting it mostly from protein, you will get results. The above is more for a cut look, as when you minimize fat and calories you will show more definition even if you aren't huge.

As embaressing as it sounds, I looked up Brad Pitt's workout from Fight Club for that cut look. I go to the gym six days a week, one day for chest, one for back, one for shoulders, one for arms, and two days of just an hour straight cardio. It works for me. Watching your dieting is pretty important, I've had a few binge drinking sessions that have really slowed me down.
    Last edited by cmacattack1; 19-01-10 at 12:08 PM.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    well, if you're going to work out, especially for muscle building, you're body will need more nutrients and calories. your body is trying to build itself and you should put your protein intake. 3500 cals is usually a normal diet, but you might have to add a couple thousand more cals.

raverboy
    That seems really unrealistic. 5500 calories is really pushing it.

lhn is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Franklin, you sound like you're on the right track. It takes time for it to kick in though, but when it does you will see results gradually increasing.

I take a Whey Protein suppliment 3 times a day. Its powdered to make a shake. I've been taking it for about 2 weeks now and i can already feel results.

Like Cmac said... are u looking to build or are u looking to tone? Personally... I did weightloss first (just over 2.5stones) and then toned myself a bit. Now I'm on to building but still do cardio a couple of times a week.

I'm pretty strict with my diet but do have a day a week were I might sneak in a pancake or something MmmMmmmmmm....
    No CHOCOLATE or ICE CREAM! and it sucks.

Those calories you were talking about are guidelines. Depends on your height, build etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    jeez i turn every argument round on a man, why take the blame if hes stupid enough to let you blame him about something totally different

I am 6 foot and I weight only 157 pounds. I am just trying to bulk up.

Users Country Flag
    Ok well a high calorie / high protein diet is the way to go which i think you're doing already. Make sure to not eat carbs or anything particularly high in carbs after like 3-4pm.

Its all a bit trial & error though as your body can act differently.

Not sure how much you know about working-out etc and exercise routines but always concentrate on technique over 'the heaviest weight i can lift' etc.
    Also, start on lower weights to warm and flood the muscles with blood.
    jeez i turn every argument round on a man, why take the blame if hes stupid enough to let you blame him about something totally different

I could teach you, but I'd have to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by lhn View Post
    Ok well a high calorie / high protein diet is the way to go which i think you're doing already. Make sure to not eat carbs or anything particularly high in carbs after like 3-4pm.

Its all a bit trial & error though as your body can act differently.

Not sure how much you know about working-out etc and exercise routines but always concentrate on technique over 'the heaviest weight i can lift' etc.
    Also, start on lower weights to warm and flood the muscles with blood.
    Well at the moment I only have 40lbs dumbbells. I know it is not a large amount. This is what I am working with at the moment. I am too embarrassed to go the gym.

When should I expect any results?

Users Country Flag
    I can tell you something right now... When I'm at the gym and I see either: someone I would consider overweight OR someone who is small (muscle wise) the only thing I think is 'good on them for making the effort'.

DO NOT BE EMBARRASSED. Everyone starts off from somewhere and you need the right equipment to build your body evenly. You don't want to end up with some big arms and no muscle on your back / lower half / shoulders etc etc.

Well results started to happen for me about 2-3months in... cos there was fat for me to get rid of. For you it might be faster as I remember you being slim.

Checkout the link I posted. I am doing exercises for my entire body with the dumbbells.

That may give you some tone, but if you really want to put on some weight you're gonna have to join a gym, and do some work with real weights.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx

Users Country Flag
    Franklin, the biggest advice right now is to join the gym. Simply using dumbells will take you an age to see results. The right equipment = the right results.

Plus, you get to meet loads of new people. Plenty of people will be there to give advice etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast