+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A potential fling

A potential fling

I've been in a relationship for over 6 years and happily so despite the usual ups and downs. I've had little to reproach to my partner in the past, other than small quirks here and there. He's an intelligent and attractive man. Unfortunately he's been going through some rough financial times lately and it has basically reduced him to a very insular creature, devoting far too much time to his hobbies I happen to find somewhat silly.
    I've probably criticized him a lot over the years, but never before have his small flaws upset me as much as recently and I have a feeling it's because of a new person I have met.
    I was introduced to a friend of a friend who I have grown quite interested in. It's an almost juvenille crush but because I see this person quite often, it's a nagging pain in my side. I'm not even sure if I'd be willing to be in a relationship with this person, but it is nevertheless taking its toll on my current arrangement. I certainly find this new acquiantance very attractive and engaging on many other levels too.
    On the other hand, I find my current partner less attractive, and i have a lot less patience with him in general. I've been treating him like last year's model and while I know this isn't doing him justice, I can't help what I'm feeling. There's an urge for an adventure here and in comparison to the new world a fling would bring my current life just seems so incredibly dull.

On the whole it's not just a matter of being interested in this particular person, though I can't help feeling something for them. I feel the urge to do some general housekeeping as far as my social life and a good part of it would start with being single again and changing friend circles all together with nothing holding me down. I have the feeling this would be a big mistake but for some reason it sounds like a fun little adventure and a great start to a new chapter in my life. Is it worth scraping everything I've shared with this partner over six years and moving to a completely different place emotionally and likely physically? Or am I close to sacrificing a great thing on an impulse?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What's your boyfriend's "silly" hobby?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

How old are you?
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

You mention "adventure" several times in your post. Are you bored with your life or is the problem your current bf financial status? If you are bored, have you spoke with your bf about this before you decide to look elsewhere for excitement?

Often times people trade in the old model for the most recent, only to discover that the old model was built a lot better. Be careful what you invest in.

Support your bf in his hour of need, if his hobbies are silly or not, at least he has one!!! Some people who don't have hobbies and find themselves at a loose end start to wonder where the next 'adventure' will come from. Including a new love interest. Sound familiar? You are going through the same trauma as ur bf, your just handling it differently. Step back and survey the lie of the land. If you love your bf you will be there for him through thick or thin.

just my opinion