+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The Blues and No Relationship on Valentines Day? you're not alone...

The Blues and No Relationship on Valentines Day? you're not alone...

Right now I'm sitting here enjoying my favorite Sam Adams drink while I write this. Keep in mind I'm an occasional drinker and don't do it everyday (really). I could do it sober but the thought of it would be too unbearable. Well, it's that time of year again when people start breaking out the candy, cards and flowers and doing the "I Love You" talk but for some of us who aren't in a lovey dovey kinda relationship right now it can be a very difficult and lonely time. It's a reminder of what love was once like but also a time of empty void in our hearts. Do you feel this way? In my situation, I just can't bare the thought of my daughter and ex (family) being with someone else on Valentines. It's a very hard blow to take and I try not to think about it. May be there are some of you out there who also feeling down on this occasion. T his will be my 4th Valentine without a relationship. May be this is your 1st or more. Tell me about it

I've actually done surprisingly well this year. No Valentine's Day-induced rage blackouts yet, nor have I attacked anyone.

The noxious fumes from this thread are starting to get to me, though... I'd better get out of here.

This is my first without my ex. The last 3 were with her.
    It feels so different and I feel so lonely.
    Today, I'd be spending the night and day at her place, all lovey dovey and doing all that cute stuff, and hot stuff with her
    But not this year.
    Oh well. There's a first everything.

I have been avoiding all Valentine related programs on TV. I am keeping to myself today. No need of a reminder that I am single.
    But this kinda posts is refreshing.
    Roymax it can't be easy when you know your child too is with someone else...I am sending you a bit hug and hopefylly this coming year you'll meet someone special with whom you can build a new home.

Piece of advice to day: AVOID FACEBOOK AT ALL COSTS!!!
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

I'm taking myself out to the nicest place in town, dressed to the nines in full evening wear (dinner jacket tuxedo) and one dozen roses for myself. While surrounded by loving couples, I'll have a solitary five course meal accompanied by live music, and perhaps a little conversation with the serving staff (they know me by name since I usually dine there every Friday evening) and retire around ten or ten-thirty.

I suppose I could say that I'm taking "the most important person in my life" out on a Valentine's Day date, but I would be lying if I didn't confess that I would have preferred to have shared the experience with someone who would have appreciated it...

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OMG my friend got yesterday her Valentines gift and it was just the best of all gifts... She got a basket with 70 Kinder Surprise eggs lol That looked cool ,I enjoyed it even tho I was alone and am on Valentine's day, my babe is far away
    I wazzzz here

I'm staying at a nice hotel tonight and getting a manicure and a pedicure. I almost forgot it was Valentine's Day until the concierge reminded me when I asked where the nearest spa was (she told me to call ahead to make sure I can get an appointment with it being Valentine's Day. . .) But, other than that, I'm really enjoying myself!! I started to feel a little guilty because I'm spending a lot of money on this room and everything that comes with it but. . .F it! I give myself permission to be spoiled today!!

I have also been reading and meditating which really helps clear my mind when sadness/loneliness starts to kick in. I thought I'd be a complete wreck today but I'm doing pretty well considering.

And, yeah, I agree with the person who said "stay away from Facebook". Make today about "yourself" if you're spending it without your loved one.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    I have been avoiding all Valentine related programs on TV. I am keeping to myself today. No need of a reminder that I am single.
    But this kinda posts is refreshing.
    Roymax it can't be easy when you know your child too is with someone else...I am sending you a bit hug and hopefylly this coming year you'll meet someone special with whom you can build a new home.

Piece of advice to day: AVOID FACEBOOK AT ALL COSTS!!!
    Thanks sookie, that was very kind and thoughtful of you. I will also send you my hug and bow to kiss your hand like a gentleman. I spoke to my daughter for v day. We both told each other how much we missed and loved each other. The hardest part was hanging up the phone. It was a kinda tearful moment I'll admit. I hope you find a really great guy who will sweep you off your feet one day. There are wonderful people out there who are willing to share their love with us single forumers. It's just a matter of time.

My heart goes out to all of you who have spent Valentines Day alone or as a single person.
    Last edited by Roymax; 15-02-10 at 07:34 PM.

Just a little follow-up - I was actually approached by and had a conversation for the first time with the elderly restaurant owner and his wife separately during the evening. Compliments were laid all around, so in the spirit of the holiday I gave the roses to the owner's wife. This made her ecstaticly happy to the point where she came over to my table a few times afterwards and kissed my cheek and brow while thanking me for the flowers. I noticed later that I had fine glitter all over my forehead and cheeks.

I can only speculate what how the evening would have shaped up if I actually had taken the lady I have had on my mind for months now. However, I fouled up that situation so badly that it would be more realistic to imagine how it would be like to build snowman on the surface of the sun...

I spent the whole day sleeping and the whole night workin' it. I got a bunch of kisses and hugs from elderly people, though and I had about a pound of Hershey's kisses....