+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Friendship or Romance? How do I know the difference?

Friendship or Romance? How do I know the difference?

I've been dating this guy for a month now and he's really sweet and all the big requirements I have are there. But he's sort of one dimensional (only talks about one thing - what he knows and loves - cars) and he always slides it into the conversation. I love cars too but want to talk about other things and do other things together besides working on his car. I've been very privileged to have done a lot in my life so far and have many different things to talk about but not so much with him .. yet.. we're both 21. He doesn't plan very well and I have my whole future planed out and that scares me. And I notice that little things can bother me, like his grammar and lack of romance. But I do like him.. I know at least as a friend. And I get butterflies when he really kisses me - not just a peck. He makes me smile and laugh, and I I want him to be happy. I find myself wanting to dance with him or snuggle with him or kiss him often, but he's just not that kind of guy .. maybe not yet .. dating only a month. He pursues me, so I know it's there for him. Should I give it more time to see if I really truly like him, or if I like him as a friend? Any advice? Please!

Some of the things you mentioned are long-term dealbreakers. He's not a romantically inclined person and that's important to you and it seems like he has no prospects in life other than messing with cars. That sounds unfulfilling. You've heard that old saying about how you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? I think that's what you're trying to do.
    Spammer Spanker