I'm not getting much help from friends and family with this, I really want to get more perspective from people to help me make a decision.

I think I really like the guy I've been dating the past few months, but I'm a little scared of making a commitment to him. He's an old friend, he's 25 and I'm 22. I really like a lot of things about him. He's intelligent, motivated, has a good job and a good career, owns his own house and takes good care of it. We have similar (not totally the same) tastes in music, movies, food, entertainment. I like that he's stable and consistent but still spontaneous enough to get us out doing different things all the time, he's not satisfied with letting things get stale. I definitely find him physically attractive, but he's not normally my type. He's also 2 inches shorter than I am, and since I'm 5'10 and like to wear heels I'm normally very insistent that I will only date tall men. I'm honestly not sure if the height issue really bothers me, but I think I'm adjusting to it and it's obviously not a deal breaker. The sex is absolutely amazing.

He wants to get married within a few years and start a small family. I thought that's what I wanted but I continue to wonder if its something I can really have. I've developed a bit of an issue with long term commitments. I spent 2 years living with an ex boyfriend and it took me that whole time to realize i was absolutely miserable and had pretty much wasted those 2 years of my life. Im scared of doing that again, especially if it could be that I realize it's been 15 years instead, or there's a marriage and kids involved. I know that there are a lot of things different about me and this guy as opposed to the last one that mean I would be a lot happier but I'm still scared I'm going to spend years with him (or anyone) and realize I shouldn't have. He's pretty patient about my issue and still wants to be with me. He wants to pursue a long term relationship with me but he has made it clear he's not ok with spending a few years with me if I'm just going to pack up and leave out of nowhere due to my paranoia about commitments.

A lot of times, I feel like I love him. I stop being so scared and say to myself that if I still feel this way in a few weeks, I'll tell him that I can make a bigger commitment. Then, I'll have a day where I'm scared again, or a day or two where I'll find myself daydreaming about meeting a guy who's a little more my type physically speaking and has all of the personality aspects I'm looking for, but then I realize that this guy already has pretty much all of those personality aspects I want. I know its normal to be confused and no relationship is perfect but I feel like I don't know what level of confusion and imperfection is acceptable.

What do you think of my situation? Also, what things do you look for when you pursue a long term commitment with someone? What are the things that let you know you should be with your spouse/long term partner? What kinds of things should people be able to overlook? What things and thoughts let you know that someone definitely wasn't the one?

I'd really appreciate any input, thanks!