+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bipolar

mel2208 Guest

bipolar

Hi everyone..

My best friend has just been diagnosed with bipolar this week.. We thought she had it for a while now.. I just wondered if anyone else has this and how do you deal with it? my friend is very stressed about it has she doesnt know anyone else who has it... what were your indications that you had it? would appreciate any feedback on this... thankyou

Hey there, I feel like I may be bipolar as well. I usually go through spurts of depression then overcome it and ill find myself more energetic excited etc.. I have never been diagnosed though.

I feel like it might be really hard on the conscious to be diagnosed "bipolar" and having to live with that label. It may be a label that causes people to think different of you etc.. But what I would suggest is for your friend to get some exercise, take advantage of the outdoors when there's nice weather, and be there for him/her when they're feeling down. Whenever my friends are around and in a good mood it definitely forces me into a good mood.

My brother is bipolar on top of other complications. Not a lot of people truly understand the nature of a bipolar person. I'm pretty sure a couple of my exes were undiagnosed bipolar too. They would frequently go through bouts of anger and frustration and take these emotions out on me. This hurt me a lot as a younger and less experienced woman. I took a lot of their pain and made it my own fault.

Bipolar people are unable to regulate their own moods. Some cycle very quickly, others cycle slowly over a number of weeks. It can be very traumatizing to encounter a bipolar person without knowing anything about the disorder. I recommend you do some research so that you can find out ways to best support your friend.

If she's been diagnosed, it sounds like she's getting help. Either you can handle this or not. I hope you can. If so, tell her. Be supportive. Let her know that she's still your friend and you don't suddenly see her as being nothing but bipolar.
    Spammer Spanker

Unfortunately I find that some doctors are too quick to diagnose people as having bipolar disorder. I was, in fact, diagnosed with bipolar disorder years ago. However the doctor said that I didn't have the "highs" that normally accompany the disorder, which tells me that I simply had depression. Usually someone with bipolar disorder experiences extremes of depression and mania. Depression is pretty well understood, but the mania (or manic behavior) is best defined by peroids of EXTREME focus, drive, creativity, energy or activity. A woman who I knew had bipolar disorder. She would get so depressed that she couldn't get out of bed some days, and sometimes she'd be so "high" that she'd paint pictures all through the night without sleeping for more than a day. I tend not to trust doctors' diagnoses anymore unless they explain why they made it, can offer multiple treatment options (besides medication), and I can verify most of what they told me through personal research. Too many times doctors are paid to prescribe certain medications by drug companies, which leads to more doctors trying to steer your symptoms to a certain diagnosis that will justify the prescribing of certain drugs (so that they get their bonuses from the drug companies). Depression was the "hot" diagnosis about 10 (?) years ago, then it was ADD/ADHD, now it seems to be bipolar disorder. I suppose that sleeping aids are a hot item now too, but they don't treat a disease perse.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Bipolar Disorder is the ADHD of this generation... WAY too frequently diagnosed. Unless I see obvious signs of this disorder (such as inability to get out of bed with no appetite when depressed and extreme activity and odd clothing and makeup rituals when up), I dismiss it outright. Teenagers have always gone through mood swings. It's part of growing up.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I agree obviously. It never hurts to check a doctor's diagnosis through personal research or get a second doctor's opinion. I'm always skeptical when the first solution to an illness or problem is a prescription (unless its something like an infection).

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Bipolar Disorder is the ADHD of this generation... WAY too frequently diagnosed. Unless I see obvious signs of this disorder (such as inability to get out of bed with no appetite when depressed and extreme activity and odd clothing and makeup rituals when up), I dismiss it outright. Teenagers have always gone through mood swings. It's part of growing up.
    I've been depressed for as long as I can remember, I have my ups and downs, but I think of myself as little more than trash. Is that normal?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    I've been depressed for as long as I can remember, I have my ups and downs, but I think of myself as little more than trash. Is that normal?
    It depends on how old you are and how much/little you have accomplished. If you haven't set any goals, and worked towards achieving them, then yeah, I'd say it's normal to feel crappy about yourself.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    It depends on how old you are and how much/little you have accomplished. If you haven't set any goals, and worked towards achieving them, then yeah, I'd say it's normal to feel crappy about yourself.
    I have set goals and worked towards them, and I'm 20. My goals are pretty much finishing university and getting to have a good job and such, but that's long term...
    My short term goals were related to university projects and such, but I haven't completed them the way I wanted them.. even though the teachers gave me the best grades in those subjects..

mel2208 Guest
    I totally agree on how quick they do diagnose Biploar..the same goes for depression... for example a work colleagues husband has been having panic attacks just of recent..what does the doc prescribe??? anti depressants!! he dont even feel depressed.... These anti depressants are handed out way too much for different things and they are very addictive!!

That IS weird, especially since there are medications specifically for anxiety. Maybe its one of those new antidepressants that the doc will get a cash incentive for prescribing. Damn those drug companies! He can always get a second opinion if he doesn't trust the diagnosis, or wants alternate treatments.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here's a solution.

If the doctor didn't diagnose it, she wouldn't have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Here's a solution.

If the doctor didn't diagnose it, she wouldn't have it!
    Are you saying that she only has it because the doctor said that she does, or that the doctor should simply be trusted because he is a doctor?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Are you saying that she only has it because the doctor said that she does, or that the doctor should simply be trusted because he is a doctor?
    I'm saying that people love to be diagnosed with chemical imbalances/mental disorders so they don't have to own up to their behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast