+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile Review

Profile Review

I've written a profile for JDate:

You'll have to trust me when I say that I'm funny, intelligent, loyal and somewhat unorthodox (take that how you want). I work in the travel industry is a great way to meet so many weird and wonderful people (hopefully you're not in the former catergory). However it's all made up for in the fantastic perks - my last stop was San Francisco, and I'm now planning a visit to Japan. I like doing things my own way, and want to get off the tourist trail. I have a really close circle of friends, who are kind, funny, yet somewhat strange. As for family, you can't do with them, but neither can you do without them! Please don't worry about the fact that I live in Carlisle, I won't expect you to wear a sheitel! I'm actually looking at moving away anyway, so I'm hoping to meet some people in other parts of the country. If you can put up with someone who hates text speak, but who also loves obscure TV programmes then we might just get along, so send me an email.

(A sheitel is a wig worn by very religious women, the type of woman that I'm not really interested in, but that's all there is where I live, so I have to look online.)

Please tell me what is good and bad about it.

p.s. I am 24, male and live in the UK. I don't think that that makes any real difference, just wanted to give you some background on where I'm coming from.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you are open to dating orthodox women, you might want to drop the bit about the sheitel, or call it "optional".
    "I like doing things my own way" sounds like you may be stubborn.
    The remark about being able to leave off the family makes it sound like your relatives are crazy.
    "hopefully you're not in the former category" - hmm... everyone is weird in some way, I think. I dunno, I just don't like this phrase.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Thanks for your reply.

Obviously, some of it needs re-writing, so I'm going to have a look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you are open to dating orthodox women, you might want to drop the bit about the sheitel, or call it "optional".
    I'm not into really religious women, but I might try and make the language more neutral.

"I like doing things my own way" sounds like you may be stubborn.
    I meant that I like to do my own thing on holiday, but I can see how it can come across. I will try and re-write this part.

As I am in the middle of rewriting this, I'd like to know if there is anything else that I should add, take away, or just do differently? Are there questions that you could ask me that I could answer in my profile? I'd prefer to ask now, than have to do 100 re-writes.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think if you want to weed out the religious women, it's okay to leave IN the bit about the sheitel. My point was that any religious woman would see that comment as evidence that you aren't observant.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I read it the first time imagining I was a woman on the website scrolling for a bo...

I have been on dating websites before and yes it's amazing the effect a piece of writing can have when trying to figure out someone.

So reading this I thought:

- you appear somewhat unconventional which could make women worried or attract them...me, I would put you in the 'unsure category'. You might not realise it but a few words here and there can put a woman off. Our biggest worry when dating online is to meet Mr Weirdo.

So the words 'unorthodox, weird, somewhat strange' struck the alarming bell for me + the fact you like obscure movies...

The line about family I see what you mean but you could re-write in a more conventional way.

Yes, overall I' say you appear as someone who is different which is great but you also need to be a bit more conventional in order to reassure women.

Also if you could add some bits about how you enjoy being in the company of a woman, to share quality time with someone who would be as much a friend as a lover.

Something romantic...really
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    JDate is a site for Jewish singles. The use of the word "orthodox" in this community isn't going to be received the way it might in a secular site.

Otherwise, I agree with sookie. Except maybe about the movies, because I tend to think of people who aren't sucked in to the latest big blockbuster favorably, but I suppose that would depend on what type of "obscure" movie you are talking about. Is "obscure" another word for "independent' film? Maybe that would be better received.

JDate is a site for Jewish singles. The use of the word "orthodox" in this community isn't going to be received the way it might in a secular site.
    Ah right...thanks Vashti...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    - you appear somewhat unconventional which could make women worried or attract them...me, I would put you in the 'unsure category'. You might not realise it but a few words here and there can put a woman off. Our biggest worry when dating online is to meet Mr Weirdo.
    I can see what you mean - I know you mention this below, so I will try and neutralise some of the wording, or make it more positive. I think I've gone out of my way to come across as not boring, and it seems to have back-fired a bit!

So the words 'unorthodox, weird, somewhat strange' struck the alarming bell for me + the fact you like obscure movies...
    Unorthodox, as Vashti quite rightly mentions is to do with being religious (orthodox means religious, so it's a pun). The one about weird people, I'm thinking of changing too. By the way, I actually said obscure TV programmes, but I'll explain more below.

Yes, overall I' say you appear as someone who is different which is great but you also need to be a bit more conventional in order to reassure women.
    I see what you mean by this. I've mentioned this above already. Thanks for this comment alone!

Also if you could add some bits about how you enjoy being in the company of a woman, to share quality time with someone who would be as much a friend as a lover.

Something romantic...really
    I'm struggling to think of anything that isn't cheesy. Maybe something to think about!

The only issue I have is that there is another section about what your ideal parner is like, and I thought it'd be covered in there.

Otherwise, I agree with sookie. Except maybe about the movies, because I tend to think of people who aren't sucked in to the latest big blockbuster favorably, but I suppose that would depend on what type of "obscure" movie you are talking about. Is "obscure" another word for "independent' film? Maybe that would be better received.
    I used the word 'obscure' to mean things that aren't mainstream, that not many people watch. I just thought that saying it the latter way would be a bit long-winded, and I couldn't think of a better way of saying what I meant.

I'll give you an example of a TV programme that you'll have heard of, that over here is obscure: The Apprentice USA (the one with Donald Trump). We do have The Apprentice in the UK, but they also show the American version (which I know for you is the normal version). The only difference is that unlike the UK version, they show it really late at night, so nobody watches it (I tape it, as I like to pause things anyway).
    Last edited by coachtrip; 07-04-10 at 07:40 AM.

I've re-written based on the advice above:-

I'm funny, intelligent, loyal and honest. Always thinking outside of the box, and more than capable of forming my own opinions. I enjoy a good verbal joust, but I'm also a good listener. I work in the travel industry which is great because I get to meet so many interesting people from all over the world. My last stop was San Francisco, and I'm now planning a visit to Japan. I want to see the the real Japan and get off the tourist trail. I have a really close circle of friends, who are kind, funny and caring. As for family, I definitely could not do without them! If you can put up with someone who hates text speak, but who also loves listening to radio comedies then we might just get along, so send me an email.

What do you think?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ah, i could never do self advertising....no matter what you put in there be ripped apart by us.
    for some reason i don't believe a word when guys say that they are honest or good listeners
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Much better! If there is an option to include your picture, be sure you do it.

What's a 24 year old young male doing on an online dating site???? You meet all these people in your line of work.
    Makes me wonder what is "wrong" with you. If I were a girl I would ask that.

Kaius,

Wake up! Nowadays a lot of people join dating websites for all kind of reasons. I bet the OP is too busy working to go out often enough.

Plus it's an extra venue where you can meet interesting people.

The view that people on these websites are only weirdoes and desperate souls is borderline stereotyping now...

OP your text is so much better now. I would just add:

As for family, although independent, I can't do without them'...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast