+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A small thing... but mildly amusing to me

A small thing... but mildly amusing to me

I was in a relationship which fell apart around the start of last year. She ended it when I returned from overseas and was preparing to fly out again for a number of months on a job. We lived together and the bills were in my name.

I wasn't pleased with the situation, but had to go, and didn't have many house moving options... so we agreed to continue the set up.

I eventually returned and promptly moved out. We were on amicable terms. She had a prior issue with the utilities company and couldn't gain an account on her own name. I knew her family well, we had shared good friends, I had no reason to expect that she wouldn't make good on her bills... so I left the account in place with the shared understanding that the bills would be payed and on time. (Utilities shouldn't be a whole lot, eh?)

A spare mobile broadband key with a pre-pay SIM card was also left with her as I didn't need it and she did.

Not a big deal.

So the new year ticks over and she mentions that I've still got a few items left at her place and some mail which still arrived there... to come pick it up.

And what is in the mail (accidentally given to me, but in my name)?

Disconnection notices for both water and electricity.. with a combined total worthy of an around the world plane ticket with some luxuries.

Long story short, she had run the air conditioner and heater 24/7, didn't pay, and lied to her parents. She also blamed me for leaving the account to her. She refused to pay. I let her parents know what was going on and they got back to me after that, and actually settled the largest bill for her (I was very surprised, but thankful).

She's since threatened me for the parental contact and fallout she received and won't return my calls or texts about the smaller bill (about 650.00 USD).

No big deal.. She's a moron. I had to pay it. Case closed.

but this evening, while checking out my account details for the mobile and broadband services.. what did I find? heh... someone has continued to use the key, the SIM card, and has never stopped recharging it every 10-14 days.The latest, about 7 days ago

The company not only canceled the SIM card, they even suggested having the broadband modem deactivated from their end.

(The girl can't do without her facebook, incidentally, and this is her standard online time right now)

It's a small change whatever was left in the account.. but, hey... I can't stop grinning at the amount of irritation this would have caused her... and when she goes out to buy another sim card to slot into the modem... The subsequent rage when the Company tells her that it isn't her modem to use.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    revenge is sweet.

I don't understand people who don't pay their debts, particularly when they owe it to an actual person they know. I can't even stand owing someone lunch money!
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I totally agree, Vashti.

It amazes me sometimes how quickly some people can rationalize differently once money enters into the equation.

This sort of "I owe you" situation happened to me once before but with someone I didn't part ways with amicably, and you know what?

I got a check in the mail out of the blue one day. We still don't get along very well... clashing of natures and all that... but I do have the utmost respect for her sense of personal dignity.

Good for you, Doc.

I had an old roommate who threw me under the bus like that over the electric bill as well. Funny how she never seemed to get my multiple texts, calls, or emails until "small claims court" came up then she responded like stink on shit.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I thought about small claims court type proceedings, initially, but realized after her parents settled the big bill (which I doubt the girl could have) that I'd only be slugging them with everything when she couldn't pay, anyway. They had since bankrolled a house and car for her (under their name) and given that her actions weren't their responsibility.. I paid the rest instead. There was an apology from them as well. They felt sorry for me, I felt sorry for them, the girl still appears to feel indifferent but now with ADDED no internet. hahahaha

Oh well... live and learn.

yikes! tough lesson.

can't trust people with that kind of thing.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

What a little asshole. I hope your current gf is better.
    Spammer Spanker

NEVER leave people using things in your name, those companies could have sued YOU. More money out of your pocket.

BTW..you would have lost in small claims court if you stop and think.

Take her parents to dinner and say thanks.

Her parents had to pay for her bills? How old is she?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Too old for her parents to be shouldered with taking care of her. I'd be ashamed if I were her.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you can tell a lot about a person's character by how they handle money. She sounds like a very poor choice.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?