+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do men do stupid stuff?

Why do men do stupid stuff?

I'm not saying only guys do stupid sh*t (women do too), but man, my guy can be a bit clueless sometimes.

I woke up and signed onto FB this morning and was checking to see if my guy was online (he's been away in Guadalajara since January right now for those who don't know) and I saw a message on his wall from one of his classmates that looked a bit sketchy. I was able to view their Wall-to-Wall and noticed that he'd left her a wall message saying she was tempting and asked her to marry him. She wrote back calling him a "sweet young thing" etc.

Now, I don't typically go all psycho-girlfriend, but I was PISSED. Lucky for me he was online too, so I composed myself and called him on it point blank.

"Why did you ask some girl to marry you on Facebook?"

I gave him a chance to explain and proceeded to explain that it was a joke he and some of his classmates had about this woman being an attractive older woman, and how much she had enjoyed the attention from the boys of their group, blah blah. He said it was a joke. I told him that I don't think that kind of stuff is funny, and that I was hurt, and felt disrespected. I don't know any of those girls he hangs around with as he is 2,000+ miles away. He apologized profusely and said he'd cut it out and said he'd never meant to hurt me.

I get that he didn't mean to hurt me, but my question is... How do you get it into your head that that is appropriate? And furthermore, I don't think anyone should be putting stuff up on a public network if they don't want anyone to potentially read/see it. I can trust that he loves me, and that he wrote the message in jest, but there was absolutely no thought put toward how I might interpret such a message.

Stupid is forgivable. Sneakiness is not. The fact that he put it up on Facebook for all the world to see puts him in the former category, not the latter. If you found a private email saying the same thing, I'd think it was a huge problem, but it wasn't.

I don't know what to tell you. My husband has done some dumbass things too. Sometimes I want to get him a shock collar.
    Spammer Spanker

Agreed. And I don't do the whole e-mail snooping thing. I remember I did it to one boyfriend when I was a lot younger because I suspected he was sleezing around. Turns out I was right. Doesn't mean it was right of me to sneak through his inbox, but it saved me another year of pain and confusion.

At first my guy thought I was all upset about the marriage proposal itself, and I reexplained that it was what a marriage proposal implies that had me going mental inside. Not to mention his calling her "tempting". "Tempting" in my head means, "I shouldn't, but I want to." So, yeah. I can get that his brain probably never made those connections, and so I laid it all out for him so that he could understand where I was coming from.

Shock collar, eh? I hope I don't have to resort to such measures

In general, it seems like guys find a wider range of things to be funny.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I suspect the human male brain has a big chunk of it reserved to being stupid. In all of us.

I agree that when something is sneakily done, there is more cause to worry.
    A public message like that and especially a message he knew you would see, was made and without thinking.

If you wanted someone as considerate and thoughtful as yourself, you'd be a lesbian.
    Spammer Spanker

Would it be better if he was doing things like this without you really knowing? You know, while he's out with his buddies and so far away from you? Imo, now that you've made it a big deal he'll be more careful so you dont know but he'll still keep doing things like that.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

That's my point. I don't care if he wants to make jokes like that WITH his friends that get said joke. I have jokes with all of my guy friends too. But do not put it in a place where I am going to see it. I knew that I was reading into it the wrong way and that is why I asked him about it upfront. I'm not a passive-aggressive person and he knows this. If I have a problem and it concerns you, you will be hearing from me. And her calling him a "sweet young thing"? I do not want to be privy to such a conversation because just reading it makes my skin crawl, even knowing it's a joke. Not something I want to read while I'm leaving a message on my boyfriend's wall.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with whether or not I trust him. I trust him implicitly, but I felt incredibly disrespected. Personally, I avoid such jokes because of the implications they carry, and the affect it may have on my loved ones, who are always at the front of my thoughts.
    Last edited by lahnnabell; 15-04-10 at 04:17 AM.

I agree with Gigabitch. If he put it on a public wall, I don't think it's that bad. But I can understand how you'd be hurt, especially by the 'tempting' comment.

My boyfriend doesn't even have a FB wall. At all. He communicates with everyone on FB through messaging. He says "I don't want the world to know everything." It hurts that he's so sketch and protective about it. I'm always wondering what conversations he has going on in the privacy of his inbox with his many female friends....

i understand exactly how you feel and i agree with you 100%. it's not just the joke is the fact that it is a bit direspectful to have ur bf say that to someone on a plublic site for everyone to see. it does shows, that he didn'tmean any harm and that it was just a joke cause otherwise, he wouldn't have put it on her wall for everyone to see. however, i think is good that u talked to him and made him understand that, that's not okay to do that.

^^ Exactly!

Guys have gotta know and from the outset preferably, what is acceptable behaviour to a woman and what is not!
    And men tend to respect women more, if they are upfront about what they want and expect

Now he knows it's not acceptable and I suspect, it won't happen again

it wasnt stupid. it was rude and disrespectful for you. it proves that he doesnt care about how u feel before he executed his actions.

^^ People can and often engage mouth and before brain.
    Last edited by xxazurexx; 15-04-10 at 06:23 PM.

Yikes. Not a good way to end a long distance drought between you two. I think it's good though that you called him out on it, and not in a dramatic, rage filled way. You shouldn't have to scare him into doing things for you, unlike this girl I knew in college who told my ex that "she should be training me". But sometimes they do have to be kicked into shape, and passivity doesn't fix anything.

Note to self: Don't joke about marriage/compliment strange girls in front of girlfriend...
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast