+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Jelwery question

Jelwery question

Hi

I broke up with my ex 3 years ago and for a long time I thought he would come back to his senses and give the relationship a second chance.

It didn't happen. Along the moving on process I have gotten rid of all mementos of our story....I tried to remain in touch and sent a few email over the past years to bury the hatchet and at least stay friendly but he has been very dry about it and I think he is the kinda of person who doesn't see the point of keeping in touch (unlike my first ex..) even though I am in another country...

Anyway I can't force it. It's done and over with. He is as a stranger to me now.

I have kept however an expensive gold bracelet + watch he gave me as a gift during the prime of our relationship.

And to be honest I never wore them...not even the watch...

I want to get rid of it but feel it would be only fair for him to have them back...

Guys do you think it rude or normal to return such gifts to an ex?

Would a man feel offended or would it find it normal to have these items back?
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe it's better to sell it and give the money to some poor family that live close by. At least with this act you can give your relationship a good meaning.
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    Maybe it's better to sell it and give the money to some poor family that live close by. At least with this act you can give your relationship a good meaning.
    I feel bad for my ex because I think they are expensive pieces of jelwery (actually I never wear gold and don't like it...it shows how much he knew me

It just feels bad that it cost a lot of money...it's interesting to hear your view on this...if a lot of people share your opinion Pt Papillon I won't return them to him...

Anytime I look at the jewlery I feel like I owe him this money...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Listen.. He gave it to you. The moment he did it, it became yours. If he didn't ask you to give it back and especially since he didn't want to respond to your messages,didn't want to keep contact with you,he's the past. Now, you don't want to wear it and you have two options, sell it and keep the money to yourself or give it to somebody who really needs it. If you give it to some poor people, maybe you won't feel anymore like you owe him something. Think about it
    Last edited by Petit Papillon; 18-04-10 at 04:12 AM.
    I wazzzz here

He has likely forgotten all about this watch and bracelet he gave you.

I have a watch that an ex bought me, that I have never worn. Last thing I'm gonna do is send it back and because it was a gift to me

Are you sure that you are not using this as an excuse to try and reach out to him once more, hoping that if you do this it will once more open a door to communication with him?

Yea they are yours...keep them, sell them...whatever...but you don't have to give them back...even if they were expensive.

I would never expect anything like that back and if I got it back honestly it would hurt me because I would think that she doesn't want a single memory of me within her life.

With my past relationships even those that ended horribly I can still think of certain moments and smile....I'm sure he feels the same way.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

I have a necklace from my ex. I considered asking if he wanted it back, but that's because it came from his grandmother. He got this jewelry for *you*. Unless there are some special circumstances we're not aware of, they're yours. Sell 'em or whatever. I personally like having a momento or two left over, but I can see how that stuff can also weigh you down. Plus you don't even like gold.
    I kinda like the idea of donating the money to charity.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have loads of stuff from my dating days. Much of it quite good quality so a waste to throw away or sell for a pittance of what it cost to buy. Keep it for your daughter or wear it. As gifts, they are yours and no guy will expect or want any of it back unless it is a heirloom of the sort mentioned above. The only thing you should return is an engagement ring if you call it off.

Yeah. Sell them and give the money to charity.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Re-gift them! haha

Actually, it doesn't really matter what you do with them. They are yours, and no one else's.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Ok,

I think after all you said I'm not gonna raise the issue with him again...

I thought that there was something morally wrong in NOT returning them.

Apparently not.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Re-gift them! haha

Actually, it doesn't really matter what you do with them. They are yours, and no one else's.
    LOL, I thought this but didn't have the e-balls to post it!

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i have given things back and have kept some. it's all a matter of respect to me. i have always asked if they wanted it back as well.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Give it back if you're a geniunely nice person