+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I broke up with my girlfriend and she has cancer, is that wrong?

I broke up with my girlfriend and she has cancer, is that wrong?

I'm nineteen and my girlfriend was wonderful, we were really in love for ages. But lately i've just been needing space and she was so clingy, we didn't agree on anything, and every single thing she did annoyed me so much, and i had no time for myself, and i was just not getting anything out of the relationship, and i didn't love her any more and for a time i stayed in the relationship, pretended everything was alright. but deep down i knew that it wasn't, and i wasn't happy and i didn't love her, and i wanted a life of my own. i felt like it wasn't fair to her to stay in the relationship pretending that everything was fine, so after a long time, i decided to break up with her. I felt terrible because she's the sweetest girl and never really did anything wrong, and i feel like the worst person in the world because, she has long-term cancer, and she may not have more than five years to live.. should i stay with her? she doesn't really have any one but me..

If the cancer wasn't the reason you broke up with her, then you have nothing to feel bad about. Of course you will feel bad because i'm sure you care about her and her well-being, but that in itself is not a reason to stay in the relationship if there are all of those other problems.
    Be careful with your heart, because when someone seems too good to be true, they usually are.

You can't just stay in a relationship because you feel bad about ending it. Yeah, she has cancer and she may die from it. But, no one is really guaranteed anything, you could be on your way to work and get hit by a car and killed instantly.

Yeah, you shouldn't stay in a relationship just because you feel sorry for the other person. End things and give her the opportunity to find someone who really does love her while she still has time.

Life certainly is too short to be in a sham of a relationship. Letting her go now so she can heal and rebuild with somebody else is probably the best thing you can do. Keep in mind that you were certainly responsible in this too, and you stayed with somebody you weren't happy longer than necessary because you couldn't be honest with how you felt about her. Maybe if you capitalized on the problems earlier, you could have worked through it and not ended up in this situation. But it already happened, not much you can do about it now. Just a lesson for the future.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i agree, if you broke up with her because of reasons other than cancer then what is the problem? imagine if you stayed with her out of pity. how do you think she'll feel?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...