+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Reality check

Reality check

So I had a big reality check today that probably serves as a good lesson to me.

I was cleaning out my old room in my place and a man who looked to be about 40 with black hair from the 70's walks up and taps on my window with this big friendly smile and motions for me to come outside. I head out the door and this guy is a friendly dude who wanted to know what I was doing with a few office chairs that I had set out to drop at the landfill tomorrow. I tell him and he asks me if he could have them.

These chairs are both well worn and one has a tear in the seat. I tell him he is welcome to anything he wants out there and he gets really excited. This is all junk in my mind, but its like Christmas for this fellow. I talk to him for a bit and find out he just moved back to the area after finalizing his divorce and is trying to go back to school. He tells me he is just out dumpster shopping to try and get a few things for his place since he cant afford much.

I was shocked to hear this, I mean you hear about people in this situation, but you don't grasp it until they are standing in front of you. I never stop to think how lucky I am. I have my own car, my own motorcycle(s), tv's, computers - you name it. I have been gifted some of it and I have earned some of it. I grew up with very well off parents due to their hard work and well sorted spending and saving. I can't fall in a sense, I could lose everything and I have parents who can afford to put me right back where I was. I have a great job with great health care, pension and retirement - all working around my school schedule.

I can't imagine a life like this guy's, I have never been in that position. I'm glad I met him, I take too much for granted, I am one lucky SOB.

I gave the guy what food I had left in the house and the cash in my wallet which he was very thankful for. Pay it forward has a whole new meaning to me and it felt good.

Its amazing how the smallest things can mean so much to one guy and never cross the mind of another.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I like your post.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good job, Rider. I always knew you were a great guy. Can't figure why you're still single (I know). Sorry, that's the mom in me.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    that is true, we never realize the things that we have until it's gone. anyone remeber lyssia?? she was a member here, but i don't remember her name. however, it was posted on FB that she died in a car accident some time earlier in the year or sometime last year. tsk tsk tsk....

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Good for you, man. And good for him.

I didn't come from a rich family but I'm not that bitter about it. Never had to do the dumpster diving, though, because I've made some pretty good choices in my life, have been rational about spending money, and always worked with what I had.
    I don't think I would have given him the money in my wallet, but I would have had him for dinner and let him take furniture (If I'd ever throw it out)

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    that is true, we never realize the things that we have until it's gone. anyone remeber lyssia?? she was a member here, but i don't remember her name. however, it was posted on FB that she died in a car accident some time earlier in the year or sometime last year. tsk tsk tsk....

raverboy
    Foxyladyee was her account name I think - she was hit by a drunk driver and was taken off life support a few hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    but I would have had him for dinner and let him take furniture (If I'd ever throw it out)
    My culinary skills are no where near your level, lol.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger