+ Follow This Topic

Thread: GF's parents wanna "talk" to me??

GF's parents wanna "talk" to me??

so I broke up with my GF about a week ago. I decided ive been with her long enough to know who she is and know I could never marry her. Plus with school and sports and all (im 17) I dont really feel like wasting my time in a relationship.

Well we had already planned to go to prom together before the breakup. And we decided we would still go to prom, as friends.

But she told me that her parents want to "talk" to me before we go to prom...apparently her dad is upset I broke up with her over the phone and not in person...thats all I know.

But what could they possibly wanna tsalk to me about?

also, my parents said that its not my GF parent's job to preant me....so my parents said if my GF's parents wanna talk to me my parents have to be there as well

im so confused...what could they wanna "talk" about??

Um, both sets of parents need to back off. This is not something that concerns them. If they felt that you two were mature enough to date, then they should accept that you're mature enough to deal with breaking up. I suggest you sit down and have a mature discussion with your parents. If you want them to treat you like an adult, you have to act like one.

Sit down and tell them straight up that you appreciate their concern, but you're heading into adulthood and you want to practice on how to handle these uncomfortable situations on your own. It'll be a good skill to learn. There will be plenty of other situations like this one later on in life. At work, in school, with other girlfriends, etc. Might as well get a lesson now

As for HER parents, you may want to bite the bullet and call her father up. He may have concerns about what goes on at prom and doesn't want you disrespecting his daughter. I'm sure he already feels that you disrespected her by breaking up with her via phone. I think you should take the initiative and call him up, or if you're really brave, ask to meet up in person. Tell him that you meant no disrespect by your methods of breaking up with his daughter, but that relationships are still new territory for you. You still care about her, and will show her a good time at the prom. It'll look much better if you take initiative in a situation like this.

eh just parent stuff.

they cant do anything to you except scold you because you broke up with their daughter.

if it were the other way around, it'd be no problem... typical bs...

don't sweat that bullocks love, he's a dad, and he feels you did something wrong but you didn't...

i also agree with the Iahnnabell
    Ello Love

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just go through it but don't take it too seriously. I personally don't think her parents have any right to talk to you about any of it....they sound like meddlesome pains in the asses. You broke up, and the way in which it was done shouldn't really matter. It's not like you knocked her up and dumped her.

Regardless, be respectful and take it with a grain of salt.

I remember I broke up with my ex when I was 19 over the phone, when we got back together his Mom chewed me out. I'm still annoyed about it to this day. That was my first taste of what my potential in-laws could be like. Glad I got out.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi