+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Partner's parents intimidate me

Partner's parents intimidate me

Hi, I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and met his parents and family quite a few times.
    The problem is I can't seem to relax or be myself around them. I'm not consciously trying to be different, I'm just not my usual bubbly outgoing self. They haven't doen anything and are very nice people, I'm just intimidated by them for some reason. Its weird because with a previous boyfriend I got on so well with his parents and I really want that relationship with these parents!
    My boyfriend has asked me why I'm not how I normally am, when I'm around them and apparently his parents think I'm quite normal and not my boyfriends usual type (which is outgoing etc.)
    I don't know how to get past this, everytime I go there I think to myself I'm going to be myself this time, but as soon as I'm there I shut down and can't come out of my shell.
    Any advice????
    xxx

The answer is alcohol. Have a drink or two shortly before the next time you are going to be around his parents. Just enough to relax but not get drunk.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think sometimes it helps to break the ice by being completely upfront about how you are feeling.

Try telling his parents something like "I know it's dumb, but I can't help feeling so nervous when I'm with you guys! I think I am worried about saying the wrong thing."

Do this lightly, and while laughing at yourself, or you will risk looking whiny.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I can be the same way around new people.

Maybe you should have a dinner/grill out at your place, on your terms, where you are most comfortable. It'll show them you are extending the olive branch and as I mentioned you'll be more comfortable in your own house. Talk about food, wine, summer plans, vacations, gardens etc...Maybe have like a bean bag game or something handy in case you run out of things to talk about.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?