+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Just Overheard my Roommate's New Boyfriend on the Phone.

Just Overheard my Roommate's New Boyfriend on the Phone.

So, my roommate L seems to have terrible taste in guys. Just this past weekend she had a guy friend/possible boyfriend stay over to visit and chill with her. She and I share a bathroom, and I was fine with it because I'm either at my boyfriend's in the evening, or I'm working. I met this dude the other day and he seems really nice. She told me that he's rather shy and had trouble expressing to her how much he liked her at first, but that they had a lot in common. I told her to take this weekend in stride and see where things go. No pressure, no demands, just have fun.

I have the morning off, so I'm lazing in bed when I hear him begin a conversation. Dude has a loud voice, but I don't think he realizes our walls are kinda thin. Anyway, he's clearly talking to a bro of his, and I could hear him telling him about his weekend. He was using phrases like, "Oh yeah, dude, it's allll good. Allll good", "We did a little bit of this, little bit of that", and he even used the phrase "a little bit of boom boom". What?! He did say, "Yeah, it's sort of like I have a girlfriend now." Right now he lives in another state, hence the weekend visit.

I'm always wary of guys who habitually use phrases like "sort of". Makes me not want to take them seriously because they don't sound like they take anybody else seriously. "Boom boom" certainly doesn't strike me as a very gentlemanly thing to say. Guess I'm just concerned about her getting hurt. The last guy she tried to date seriously jerked her around for the longest time.

I realize that he was talking to a friend of his, and didn't really pay attention to the fact that someone could be listening (my roommate went to work this morning I think), so he's gonna act the part of a guy... but I just got an off vibe from listening to him speak so candidly. My own boyfriend is much more eloquent and respectful when he speaks, so perhaps I am comparing. I just wish L would develop some solid standards, but she seems to be content with giving herself to the guys that give her the least bit of attention.

I'm not gonna tell her what he said or anything. Just gonna log it away, I guess. I'm venting, 'cause I'm not sure if I like this guy or not.
    Last edited by lahnnabell; 01-06-10 at 01:56 AM.

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I really don't think anything you heard was reason of concern. So he told his buddy they had sex, don't think there's a whole lot wrong with that. Of course tone and all that takes into play but this doesn't seem be reason enough to worry her.

Yea I mean the phrases he used makes him sound like a douche and its kinda shitty/juvenile that he went and told his friend as soon as she was gone.

But at the same time he is a guy and we have a tendancy to say things to our other male friends that we would not repeat in polite company.

I wouldn't hate him for this...but doesn't hurt to keep an eye on him and look out for your friend.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Yeah, the tone kind of got to me. He was putting on this cocky little air. I get that guys tend to do this with one another, but it just seemed like bad form to me. I'm sure I'm overanalyzing it, 'cause I tend to do that.

I certainly don't hate him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up pulling the whole, "I like you, but I just don't know. We'll never see each other, and that's just so unfair to both of us..." BS. His tone makes it sound like he's good at BSing. Like I said, I'm not going to say anything to her 'cause I know she'll obsess over it. I want her to be happy, but I also want her to jack up her standards a bit. But that's on her.

Just make sure he doesn't bs a bser ok.

I say all sorts of crazy things to my friends in crazy voices that literally mean nothing. Men don't tell other men anything of importance because we don't trust each other.

We learn it at an early age, tell your friend you are having problems in your relationship, he sleeps with your girl. So instead we make it sound like we are the gods of the bed rails to keep other guys away. I know girls get offended when we immediately tell everyone that we 'plowed, railed, banged, boom boomed (wtf) or w/e' a chick, but its a defense mechanism. Don't think 800 miles is too far to travel for one guy to 'one up' his friend and bang his woman.
    Women... They smell nice but they are soul murderers. - William Murderface

If he was shy and finally got some,offcourse he told his friend,who else..his mom ?How can telling a friends that can influence how much a person likes another person.
    Love doesn't make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.
    Franklin P. Jones

My hope died long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Just make sure he doesn't bs a bser ok.

I say all sorts of crazy things to my friends in crazy voices that literally mean nothing. Men don't tell other men anything of importance because we don't trust each other.

We learn it at an early age, tell your friend you are having problems in your relationship, he sleeps with your girl. So instead we make it sound like we are the gods of the bed rails to keep other guys away. I know girls get offended when we immediately tell everyone that we 'plowed, railed, banged, boom boomed (wtf) or w/e' a chick, but its a defense mechanism. Don't think 800 miles is too far to travel for one guy to 'one up' his friend and bang his woman.
    That's f*cked up, but it's true. I've seen this with my own eyes.

I wouldn't be TOO concerned about what he said. Just file it away. And if he shows any other odd behavior you'll have that conversation to piece with it.

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    So he told his buddy they had sex
    Incorrect, they had "boom boom" time.

All worries aside, he sounds like a wigger. Is L's name Lauren? Latesha? Lafonda? Lucy? Lenore?

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Incorrect, they had "boom boom" time.

All worries aside, he sounds like a wigger. Is L's name Lauren? Latesha? Lafonda? Lucy? Lenore?

You thought of all of those and forgot simple ones like Lisa and Lilly?
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Hahaha! Boom boomed!

Heh, I have a friend of mine who I've noticed around other guys tries a little too hard to impress people. We were drinking around the campfire this weekend and ran into an old high school classmate of ours. One sentence from my friend: "Yeah dude, I was hanging out at this sorority and I slept with just about all of them." I fired back "Oh really, every single one of them huh?" Maybe I'm just jealous because I can count all the girls I've boom boomed on one hand, but I just notice this kind of behavior is in people that are really insecure and feel they have to prove something to everyone and everything around them. Or that they aren't serious. Not to say that all guys are the same, but it sounds like your roommate's guy might fit that mold. Did I already say immature?

Maybe he'll change and he'll fall head over heels for her? Of course, she'll probably get bored right?

If he couldn't make it past the first weekend without getting caught, if he's a bad guy, he will slip up again. Keep an eye but no reason to hit the panic button yet.

Bet it makes you feel better about your boyfriend, eh?
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Your probably over thinking it, i mean you yourself described him as a "guy friend/possible boyfriend", so clearly there is nothing official right?.. so maybe he didn't want to get too ahead of himself and claim to be in a relationship before the two have them decide they are official?.. it all seems rather innocent to me, and it probably also depends on the relationship he has with his buddies.

If it happens more often it could be a sign of concern, or if the vocabulary starts to become degrading/disrespectful then you know its trouble. But for now all seems fine imo.

Thats always awkward but yeah I'd say nothing. Is this girl he's speaking of one of the girls you got off on the wrong foot from in the begining? One of them who made you feel excluded or whatever at the taco party?

*I feel my Lunesta kicking in and my brain cells going to mush. Time to stop typing.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    You thought of all of those and forgot simple ones like Lisa and Lilly?
    I just watched Friday - I have black people names on my mind.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Haha, this thread started cracking me up. I talked with my roommate after he'd left and asked her how the weekend went. She said it went well, and that they had a good time. I asked if they'd decided anything. She said that he wanted her to be his girlfriend, but she's concerned about the distance (he lives in Nevada I think near her parents' home). She said they wouldn't see each other much. I told her that she should just take things in stride and see how things go. No pressure. I would have advised her not to make anything official just yet, but considering they'd already jumped that gun, I held my tongue. She seems quite skeptical of things working out.

Like I said, he seems like a nice guy, but something about his personality bugs me. Maybe it's the slight "wigga" attitude and the use of "boom boom" to connote sex. He seems like a bit of a clown. But we'll see