+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I get rid of the things ex gave to me?

Should I get rid of the things ex gave to me?

We were together for over a year. It's been a month since I've last talked to him. One day, he just cut me off everything. I tried calling him to ,at least, clarify if he's breaking up with me but he didn't pick up the phone. So, I guess it's over. I'm still hurting so much but I have to deal with it. Should I get rid of the things he gave me and of anything that reminds me of him? Most of them are pictures, love notes, and gifts. If yes, when is the right time to get rid of them?

You don't know how you'll feel in the future so if it was up to me I'd keep some of the stuff and store it somewhere like in a box and give it to someone or store it somewhere where you won't feel tempted to look into it. These things can be good memories down the road despite what has happened between the two of you.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just box it up and put it all away in a hard-to-reach spot. The memories they provide will not always be painful.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I would box the belongings that remind you of him. I did the same with the things that my ex-girlfriend gave to me. I even went as far as returning a beach towel that belonged to her that I had been using.

Yeah, I'd just box them up and put them in the back of a drawer.

Like Vash said, the memories will not always be painful, but perhaps a fond reminder and despite what he did.
    I and an ex from long ago broke up on bad terms, but I still have his pic. And I have letters from the recent ex and a watch from my ex husband. LOL

Yup, I agree with everything everybody has said. For me, it was a reminder of what I lost because I was a shitty boyfriend. I still have a box of those things, both the good notes and stuff, and the bad letters when things started going downhill. You'll stumble across it later and by then it will hopefully remind you of the better times and then you will know if you want to keep it or not. You guys could reconcile too, and you'd be losing some serious memories. Don't blatantly leave it out though, that will make it really painful.

To tell you the truth, I started forgetting I had it until I read this thread and it jogged my memory. You will eventually feel the same way.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Hey yeah after cutting you off like that and not even bothering to give you an explanation its high time you get rid of the stuff...that would help you move on!

My ex-boyfriend did exactly the same thing to me -- broke up with me and just cut things off completely. I got a huge box and put three years worth of memories in it, gave it to my mom to store in the back of the basement (i guess thats where it is).....i have a feeling I won't be getting into that box for a very long time -- maybe even never -- but getting everything out of your sight will help get it off your mind, at least a little bit : /