+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [NEWS] Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

[NEWS] Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

OMG, this is hilarious. They can't be serious about it.

[url=http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/06/20/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1]Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster - CNN.com[/url]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    OMG, this is hilarious. They can't be serious about it.

[url=http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/06/20/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1]Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster - CNN.com[/url]
    Louisiana, (though not necessarily New Orleans), has a significant religious population.

It's simply part of their culture, when in doubt, pray.

It would be funny if it weren't so serious. They may as well sacrifice chickens to the angry god of the sea.

Humanity- how far have we come, really?
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    It would be funny if it weren't so serious. They may as well sacrifice chickens to the angry god of the sea.

Humanity- how far have we come, really?
    People are desperate down here.

I've seen a lot of ignorant comments towards the fisherman, and people that live on the bayou about just "getting another job".

There's little infrastructure where they are, it's not like the comfy cities and suburbs where a lot of these idiots live where you really could go down the street to the McDonald's and apply for a job.

These people would have to abandon their homes, and neighbors and start over somewhere else.

It's the end of the world, as they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

It's the end of the world, as they know it.
    I feel for them, I really do, but Jesus is not going to come and clean up the oil spill. I hope they all make the connection between voting for people who work to protect the environment and having an environment healthy enough to sustain them and their families. It's really frustrating when people think that protecting the planet is just for hippies. We ALL live here.

Those people are headed for bleak days.
    Spammer Spanker

What makes me laugh is the fact that people voted the same idiots whose best idea to stop the oil is praying. It's pathetic the kind of people who get to power nowadays.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What makes me laugh is the fact that people voted the same idiots whose best idea to stop the oil is praying. It's pathetic the kind of people who get to power nowadays.
    Well smartass, what do you feel is the most logical way of stopping the oil?

And do you have the resources to allocate in executing this idea?

Well smartass, what do you feel is the most logical way of stopping the oil?

And do you have the resources to allocate in executing this idea?
    I'm not the best person to think plausible solutions for the problem, but their duty as politicians and therefor leaders is to find the people who can fix the problem, not calling a "prayer day".

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not the best person to think plausible solutions for the problem, but their duty as politicians and therefor leaders is to find the people who can fix the problem, not calling a "prayer day".
    Oh, so you're saying nobody is addressing the issue?

You're also saying that politicians elected by God heads shouldn't be the least bit sensitive towards their constituents?

If it makes them feel better, who gives a shit.

Honestly, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about, Jindal has been busting his ass trying to coordinate with the Feds.

Hell, even Cao sent out survey cards to Orleans Parish, which isn't even a coastal parish, on what people's concerns were and what we believe are the most important issues to address.

Everybody's attention is on the oil spill, but at this point, do you honestly think that a bunch of politicians hosting a small prayer session is hindering progress towards stopping the oil, miles out at see, 5,000 feet under the water? It's been 2 months, if somebody had been hiding the magic solution under their couch I'm pretty sure it would been presented already.

It's been 2 months, if somebody had been hiding the magic solution under their couch I'm pretty sure it would been presented already.
    Even if that magical solution doesn't exist, calling a prayer is ridiculous.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Even if that magical solution doesn't exist, calling a prayer is ridiculous.
    I'd love to see you say that to coastal communities.

Just stick to your local news because you don't know jack shit what you're talking about.

I'd love to see you say that to coastal communities.
    I understand the trouble for the coastal communities perfectly, but praying isn't going to do anything to help them.

What about, I don't know, maybe making an effort to create employment in other kind of industries/sectors in that area? Give people who are going to loose the job they've had their entire life another job, don't tell them to pray.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I understand the trouble for the coastal communities perfectly, but praying isn't going to do anything to help them.

What about, I don't know, maybe making an effort to create employment in other kind of industries/sectors in that area? Give people who are going to loose the job they've had their entire life another job, don't tell them to pray.
    Jesus f*cking christ, THEY'VE ALREADY STARTED ADDRESSING THE ISSUES OF JOBS.

This is what I'm talking about, you don't understand shit.

All praying is, is a form of meditation, it doesn't mean they've ceased seeking out means to address their problems.

What is wrong with you, are you really this dense, or are you just trying to save face?

You keep reiterating the same idiotic babble about them having a little prayer session, that would take what, 30 seconds?

You're not just insulting the politicians, you're insulting the people when they're already down.

Do your research:

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/louisiana_gov_bobby_jindal_cha.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/st_bernard_parish_spending_of.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/bp_official_wants_deepwater_dr.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/sba_declines_70_percent_of_lou.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/robert_f_kennedy_jr_calls_blow.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/robert_f_kennedy_jr_calls_blow.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/louisiana_officials_again_ask.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/attorney_general_buddy_caldwel_2.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/coalition_to_offer_health_scre.html[/url]

[url]http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/04/hundreds_of_commercial_fishers.html[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Iv1cCQXAQ[/url]
    Last edited by Junket; 25-06-10 at 11:58 AM.

Jesus f*cking christ, THEY'VE ALREADY STARTED ADDRESSING THE ISSUES OF JOBS.

This is what I'm talking about, you don't understand shit.

All praying is, is a form of meditation, it doesn't mean they've ceased seeking out means to address their problems.

What is wrong with you, are you really this dense, or are you just trying to save face?

You keep reiterating the same idiotic babble about them having a little prayer session, that would take what, 30 seconds?

You're not just insulting the politicians, you're insulting the people when they're already down.
    First of all, you are way too overheated so I'm not going to keep posting if you keep answering like that.

Second, I haven't insulted the people, or you, I have insulted the politicians.

I do understand shit, but no, I don't know much about what they are doing to solve the problem. And according to what I know, they are far from doing all they can. If you honestly believe they have done all they can, it's fine by me, not like this problem is going to affect me.

I keep reiterating the same "babble" because I think it's ridiculous for a government to call for that, that's something the Pope or the Dalai Lama would do, politicians must address the problems. Also, they rule for everyone in the state, I'm sure not all of them are religious and I would be offended if any politician here asked me to pray.

As I said, I'm not going to answer if you keep answering like if I insulted you directly, and I'm sorry if I offended you.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    First of all, you are way too overheated so I'm not going to keep posting if you keep answering like that.

Second, I haven't insulted the people, or you, I have insulted the politicians.

I do understand shit, but no, I don't know much about what they are doing to solve the problem. And according to what I know, they are far from doing all they can. If you honestly believe they have done all they can, it's fine by me, not like this problem is going to affect me.

I keep reiterating the same "babble" because I think it's ridiculous for a government to call for that, that's something the Pope or the Dalai Lama would do, politicians must address the problems. Also, they rule for everyone in the state, I'm sure not all of them are religious and I would be offended if any politician here asked me to pray.

As I said, I'm not going to answer if you keep answering like if I insulted you directly, and I'm sorry if I offended you.
    Yeah I'm heated, I'm much closer to the problem than you are.

It's part of my local news, I read it, hear it every day. It's not in the gobal, or international section, it's not just the biggest and most controversial highlights.

There's nothing we don't hear about, whether through the media, or our work, or our friends.

Yeah, you pissed me off, because people here are stressing as we watch the struggle between the government, the corporations, the businesses, the people, the environment in their fight against each other and this f*cking oil.

I read and hear a lot of the bullshit that people are saying, and much of it reeks of ignorance and insensitivity.

This isn't like Katrina where volunteers can march on down and perform unskilled labor gutting houses, and performing mold remediation. My g/f's non-profit has been turning away volunteers because Louisiana doesn't have a typical coast line like Mississippi or Alabama, and people don't realize they need to be certified to clean animals, and BP has been rejecting volunteers, and the Coast Guard for whatever reason has been enforcing BP's rules threatening to arrest people and media that try to get close to the oil spill.

People think expect that the government, or BP have some kind of "What to do if there's a massive oil spill 5000 feet under water and all the fail safes, fail" manual laying around.

Even if they did, it's long been thrown out the window.

If there's anything I've learned in construction, it's that there's not always an existing solution to these problems.

Far too many times I've asked why this is how it is, or if we can't do that, what then? Often the answer is just to "figure it out".

That's all they've been doing, only now they're under the microscope, and people are beginning to realize how unsophisticated we are as a species.

We don't always have a plan, and we don't always have an expert, or a special tool to fix every problem. We're still rigging shit up like a bunch of high tech cowboys.

Junk shots?

Top kills?

Giant sand barriers?

It's FUBAR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast