+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between UK and US

Differences between UK and US

This is something I have noticed only recently

To me it seems that in general the US are more conservative than the UK

I know it is silly to generalise but this is how it appears to me...

What do you lot think? Am I being judgemental?

I think the difference may depend on dating styles, in England I know very few people who actually date it tends to be a system of getting together while drunk then progressing, whereas I have always assumed everyone goes on dates first in the US

I'm just intrigued I guess

Um... have you ever even been to the US?

Well I'm unsure what you mean about being more 'conservative', but yes, things are very different in the UK ..ie: dating, relationships.

Kai is right, we don't have a dating system here. We tend to just go out, meet someone, we click or not and then it's either a 'one night stand' or it turns to more. We don't necessarily meet people just when drunk however as Kai said, lol. But a lot of people meet that way and because the popular thing to do and at night is to go to pubs, clubs and nightclubs.

Because we don't have a dating system, if I was seeing more than one man at a time and despite the fact we may not be a committed couple but just seeing each other, I'd earn a reputation for being a 'slag'....or I'd be classed as cheating on the man I was seeing.

We don't do 'exclusivity' talks either. Exclusivity is just something that is automatically assumed between couples and if and as we get closer and are spending lots and lots of time together and if we have been introduced to families, friends.

I don't want to argue any of these points, because it's useless to argue against a countries 'culture' and traditions and I'm not about to argue why we do what we do, or whether it's right or wrong, stupid or not, etc... because it's just the way it is here.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    Well I'm unsure what you mean about being more 'conservative', but yes, things are very different in the UK ..ie: dating, relationships.

Kai is right, we don't have a dating system here. We tend to just go out, meet someone, we click or not and then it's either a 'one night stand' or it turns to more. We don't necessarily meet people just when drunk however as Kai said, lol. But a lot of people meet that way and because the popular thing to do and at night is to go to pubs, clubs and nightclubs.

Because we don't have a dating system, if I was seeing more than one man at a time and despite the fact we may not be a committed couple but just seeing each other, I'd earn a reputation for being a 'slag'....or I'd be classed as cheating on the man I was seeing.

We don't do 'exclusivity' talks either. Exclusivity is just something that is automatically assumed between couples and if and as we get closer and are spending lots and lots of time together and if we have been introduced to families, friends.

I don't want to argue any of these points, because it's useless to argue against a countries 'culture' and traditions and I'm not about to argue why we do what we do, or whether it's right or wrong, stupid or not, etc... because it's just the way it is here.
    Exclusivity is assumed?

I don't care where you're from, such assumptions will definitely lend to issues.

I guess you people get in a lot of bar fights, too.

^Not gonna argue or defend....it's the way it is.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Alcohol, for the most part, isn't as big a part of life.

Maybe here in New Orleans it is, but most states are dry in comparison.

Probably a good thing since guns and alcohol don't mix so well.

I'll take a gun over a bottle of beer any day.

The United States is one of the most conservative developed countries in the world. That's a known fact. It's the only Western nation where things like "Intelligent Design" are taken seriously.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWagginston View Post
    The United States is one of the most conservative developed countries in the world. That's a known fact. It's the only Western nation where things like "Intelligent Design" are taken seriously.
    It's the urban, rural divide.

Plain and simple.

Country tends to be more conservative, the cities tend to be more liberal.

So can you actually own guns over there? Like keep them in your homes and without a licence?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Phoenix View Post
    I think the difference may depend on dating styles, in England I know very few people who actually date it tends to be a system of getting together while drunk then progressing, whereas I have always assumed everyone goes on dates first in the US

I'm just intrigued I guess
    Really? I 'date'. I dont feel the need to be drunk to meet someone. Most of my friends are the same. What part of the uk are you from?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    So can you actually own guns over there? Like keep them in your homes and without a licence?
    Depends on the state, and the city.

Guns are supposed to be registered, but you don't usually don't need a license to possess a gun.

Here in Louisiana, you can carry a handgun on the dashboard of your vehicle, by law.

But in other states you can only transport in a vehicle, disassembled, in a secure case.

Just depends.

I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, and California is definitely one of the more liberal states. There are very liberal-minded people who are into casual sex. But in my circle of friends, we tend to meet someone, date, and then have sex.
    Personally I don't believe in sex before falling in love, but that's just me. I've always found it strange that people would be intimate with someone without the love factor. But who am I to judge? Adults do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    Really? I 'date'. I dont feel the need to be drunk to meet someone. Most of my friends are the same. What part of the uk are you from?
    I don't need to be drunk to meet someone but it just tends to be that whenever we do something social alcohol is always involved

I'm from the south west , maybe it is different because the communities are fairly small, I'm not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Phoenix View Post
    I don't need to be drunk to meet someone but it just tends to be that whenever we do something social alcohol is always involved

I'm from the south west , maybe it is different because the communities are fairly small, I'm not sure
    It is true my generation seems to relate alcohol to socializing...

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Exclusivity is assumed?

I don't care where you're from, such assumptions will definitely lend to issues.

I guess you people get in a lot of bar fights, too.
    I agree that exclusivity is usually assumed in most cases of couples I've met

I'm a bit different I assume I am free and single no matter what unless they sit me down and have a chat...but of course they tend to assume otherwise and that causes problems like you said

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast