+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Differences between UK and US

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, I've noticed the Brits seem to be able to guess region based on their accent. I do find it harder to understand the northerners I've met vs. south. Except for certain London dialects that sound like a foreign language to me.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Wait...maybe im getting the order wrong. When you are "seeing" someone, that means no exclusivity or seriousness....and doesn't go pass kissing.
    When you are dating someone, then you are exclusively with that person, and the term boyfriend/girlfriend applies....and often involves sex.
    When you seriously date someone, then it's a long term relationship. That's how I understood it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I thought dating = casual.

If I am 'seeing someone' I would think a man would interpret that as my being unavailable. Of course, until a ring goes on a finger or a similar commitment, I suppose anything goes.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post
    That can be a factor. But I could easy spot the difference between a Southern and a Northern male....very easily. We are all English, but we are very different. South of the North/South divide they are like a different species to us Northerners. Southerners on the whole tend to be Conservative, Northerners are Labour and Liberal, which is always reflected in the UK elections. Conservative people are usually from money backgrounds, highly educated, well spoken and well mannered. Conservatives are the party for the upper/middle classes. Labour, liberal voters, the Northerners are the 'working class'...the people from the North are more 'rough and ready', although we are reknowed for our friendliness.

Would anyone else from the UK agree...or am I talking shite??...lol
    Nope I agree with you on that one. I am originally from the south but moved up to the north a few years ago now. There is a noticeable difference between the two, it is true about the northern friendliness as well. There are obviously exceptions but as a generalisation there are differences more than just regional dialect.

I don't think I would ever move back down south now though, don't miss it at all I much prefer it in the north of the country.

S

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That can be a factor. But I could easy spot the difference between a Southern and a Northern male....very easily. We are all English, but we are very different. South of the North/South divide they are like a different species to us Northerners. Southerners on the whole tend to be Conservative, Northerners are Labour and Liberal, which is always reflected in the UK elections. Conservative people are usually from money backgrounds, highly educated, well spoken and well mannered. Conservatives are the party for the upper/middle classes. Labour, liberal voters, the Northerners are the 'working class'...the people from the North are more 'rough and ready', although we are reknowed for our friendliness.

I can sort of see where you are coming from, but the north/south divide has changed alot over the years and I just dont think there is the big difference anymore. I'm from liverpool/carlisle though i dont live up there anymore. I tend to go for northern men in general, but i cant say whether that is just coincidence or through choice. And my ex was very southern so maybe that puts me off them!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaius View Post
    Wait...maybe im getting the order wrong. When you are "seeing" someone, that means no exclusivity or seriousness....and doesn't go pass kissing.
    When you are dating someone, then you are exclusively with that person, and the term boyfriend/girlfriend applies....and often involves sex.
    When you seriously date someone, then it's a long term relationship. That's how I understood it.
    It would appear that the terms vary between the UK and US.

As with qwerty123, I have been on a few dates with somebody and we called them dates, the next step would be "seeing" them which is then when it would become boyfriend/girlfriend and a more serious relationship when we have both decided to take the next step.

S

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    I can sort of see where you are coming from, but the north/south divide has changed alot over the years and I just dont think there is the big difference anymore. I'm from liverpool/carlisle though i dont live up there anymore. I tend to go for northern men in general, but i cant say whether that is just coincidence or through choice. And my ex was very southern so maybe that puts me off them!!
    So where you are then Qwerty, if you don't mind me asking.

I don't think I've ever been involved with a Southern guy, ever. I mean I've known them via work and what not, just never found myself in a relationship or even seeing one.

I remember my sis was involved with a guy from Kent a few years back and I chatted on the phone to him once....I couldn't understand a word he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaius View Post
    lol, it's different for differing parts of the world.

I can meet a guy by chance on a night out (which is the usual way I met guys), so if you meet someone by chance, it is not a date.

If I meet a guy on a night out and we like each other, then we would arrange to see each other again (which is equal to setting a date). From then on, we are 'seeing' each other, but it's not serious or exclusive. People do have sex during this time, or some wouldn't - matter of personal choice and down to the couples involved.

Serious and exclusive is assumed and when you know that is more than just 'seeing' someone'. I know when a guy is serious about me and when he's not...

I think the biggest difference is, is that we don't tend to see several people at once, like it seems the norm in the US to do. We tend to stick to one person at a time, when just seeing/dating someone. But I guess there are exceptions and some people would see more than one person. ..but I never did. I'm a 'one man woman' - I couldn't deal with more than one man at a time....lmao

I agree with the north/south divide but also south west is different again

I personally have never really spent much time with northerners just because they don't tend to come down here whereas a lot of my friends are from London etc

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I thought dating = casual.

If I am 'seeing someone' I would think a man would interpret that as my being unavailable. Of course, until a ring goes on a finger or a similar commitment, I suppose anything goes.
    I think the words change depending on where you live, I think of dating as pretty serious whereas my friends and I tend to use "seeing" as someone we may just be sleeping with but are not serious or the stage before dating

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123