+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should a facebook status be a deal breaker?

Should a facebook status be a deal breaker?

Is it a big deal for a guy to not change his status on facebook from single to in a relationship after being together for 6 months?

No, it's not normal. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker though, either. It depends on his reason for not changing his status, of which there could be many. Parents that don't approve of relationships at his age? Parents who wouldn't approve of you? Other friends/family he would prefer to hide you from, for whatever reason? Or maybe he just doesn't take that kind of shit seriously. Oftentimes, though, people who don't care about what their Facebook says will alter their relationship status if it makes the other feel better. What it boils down to is one of the following:

• He has judgmental family members, such that their knowledge of you would significantly complicate his life. That's the best reason he could probably have.
    • He is picky/non-comformist, and is unwilling to alter his page for anyone else. This is not a deal-breaker, but it is kind of annoying.
    • He is afraid of what his peers would think of your relationship. Maybe his friends would be jealous, or make fun of him, or he thinks they wouldn't like you. This could be a red flag, depending mostly upon what specifically his fear is.
    • He has or wants more than one romantic partner on Facebook, and so cannot share your relationship for fear of alerting other girls. This is a deal-breaker.

My boyfriend changed his soon after he asked me out so there must be somehting stopping him after 6 months. Ask him.
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If this is not such a big deal, where is the problem to change the status? I have had 2 bfs since the beginning of facebook. The first one (and also my ex) , never wanted to change his status , he was claiming it's unnecessary ,but in reality , he didn't want to spoil his chances with other girls The second guy (my current bf) , changed his status right away and was even happy about it.
    If your relationship is normal, (and it should be like that) I don't see a problem in change of status => I see a problem in not changing it. Unless he's posting pics of you and writes me and my gf or something
    I wazzzz here

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If it were my guy yes, it would be a huge deal. What the hell is stopping him?

I agree with girl68....

I would be very sad and disappointed if my boyfriend is "still single" in FB... I mean that it's like: "Well, we're together but it doesnt matter if everyone knows..." O.o
    Bitches are everywhere ready to flirt with handsome men and I really want them to know that He is mine all mine...

I would not change it, I don't want FB to know all about me.

I didn't make it a big deal when my boyfriend didn't do it. We actually talked about it, and he gave a reason I thought was legitimate. He said that the last time he posted a relationship on FB, when they broke up, the break up notification was posted on his wall, and a ton of people started asking, "What happened?" I've had that happen before too, and you just want to punch everyone who shoves their nose into your business.

However, he drunkenly decided one night to put it on his profile. I said, "okay" and it's been that way ever since. His reasoning was, "He is proud of me, and wants everyone to know."

So, yes. Another supposed reason for his behavior.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you stop using facebook, this won't be an issue anymore.