+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I started working out to build mucles

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    You're going to be sore after the first few sessions because your body isn't use to being pushed. It will get better as you get into lifting regularly. Change up your routine, you don't want to train your body to a repeated lifting pattern.

1g of protein per pound of body weight. I weigh around 210, so I shoot for around 210 grams of protein a day, total. Take a little bit of protein before you work out, then a full shake when you finish.
    Yeah I changed it up today.. the trainer was not in today so I went at my own pace it was nice

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Are you SURE you need to take the supplements? And have you researched whether or not it actually is effective? (Using a scientific site - not a body building one.) Because I haven't ever seen any conclusive evidence that glutamine does anything more than affect your liver enzymes.

For the record, I have never seen a doctor advise a patient to take ANY supplement. It is generally believed that if you eat a healthy diet, you simply don't need them.
    Do they have scientific sites at all for supplements?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I'm doing this for me.. I always wanted to start up again after I stopped after HS but was never motivated.. Now that I have a free pass it's no big deal

I signed up for swimming lessons for next month since this month is booked now that I have to pay for but I guess good to know how to swim.
    You are over 20 and don't know how to swim? that's something I never heard of.

Well now you heard of it.

Are you SURE you need to take the supplements? And have you researched whether or not it actually is effective? (Using a scientific site - not a body building one.) Because I haven't ever seen any conclusive evidence that glutamine does anything more than affect your liver enzymes.

For the record, I have never seen a doctor advise a patient to take ANY supplement. It is generally believed that if you eat a healthy diet, you simply don't need them.
    I can't speak for anyone byt myself on this question but I'll give you my thoughts.

The only supplement I take is whey protein. Its a very pure source, easy to digest and enters the body in roughly 30 minutes. The health study stuff I have seen basically suggest that your body doesn't stockpile protein, but relies on it being ingested each day. When I work out, my bodies demand for protein goes up because I am forcing muscle growth and expansion. You would probably know more than me Vash, but that's just my process of thinking.

I do notice that taking protein causes my body to heal faster or at least makes me think it does. I am noticeably less sore the following day and ready to go again the following day.

I don't buy into pre-workout supplements, Creatine or anything else. I have tried them and noticed no difference other than my caffeine levels rocketing up. I just eat healthy, drink plenty of fluids, take protein after exercising and call it a day.

Stick with it Mike, exercising is tough to commit to, but the rewarding feeling and healthy life it gives you back is unmatched.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 14-07-10 at 03:26 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

It is such a nice thing to build a muscles. To keep yourself healthy it is too necessary. First of all you can join gym. You will do exercise under instruction of gym instructor. You can also drink protein powder with milk. Also eat food in which more protein. You can also follow your diet chart.
    Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble.

yeah I forgot to stop by GNC to check it out one person can't understand how I'm so thin for my age and height.. and saying my calorie intake must not be right.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    yeah I forgot to stop by GNC to check it out one person can't understand how I'm so thin for my age and height.. and saying my calorie intake must not be right.
    Not meaning to offend, but I also thought that you look too skinny, specially if you are carrying weight at work... Did you check the things they mentioned in another thread before, thyroid levels and such? It may be related..

I have the same problem as you Mike in terms of not being able to put on more weight. For me, i have noticed that it is not getting enough calories. I've tested it out and pushed myself and was able to gain some although it's extremely hard to keep going so i'll have to make a better plan.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Ok Mike I feel happy to be able to contribute to your thread because I have personal experience here. Anyway a few people here already said some valuable things. One is the protein point. Generally 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is what you're shooting for. However, as far as I know your body can only metabolize around 30 grams per meal and the rest is expelled. That means you'll have to eat more smaller meals through the day in order to actually benefit from the added protein. I usually have a protein shake in the morning, beans/meat at 10am, beans/meat at 12 pm, beans/meat at 2pm, work out at 4pm, then have another shake after my workout. I weight 180, so I shoot for 180 grams of protein. I've found that the cheapest way to take in so much protein is making beans in a crock pot. For less than $10.00 I can usually eat for an entire week. My favorite recipe is a 5 pepper black bean soup with tomatoes, onions and 2 lbs of turkey sausage. Yum!

Water is also EXTREMELY important. I drink 40-60 oz per work day, and more when I get home. Water keeps you hydrated, and more importantly allows your body to expel waste (especially ammonia, a product of the body's amino acid usage).

As far as supplements go there is a lot of snake oil out there. Don't ask anyone who is selling supplements about their worth (like GNC reps) for obvious reasons. Glutamine doesn't help you bulk up, but it does cut the amount of soreness you feel after INTENSE workout. I do take it when I am on a 5 day all weights work out schedule, and it does make a difference. I also take L-Arginine, but it mainly helps with how I feel (ie I feel a little more pumped. Plus it helps with testosterone production according to some studies). As far as Creatine goes, I didn't take it at all for the first two years that I worked out. I saw great gains while only taking protein. Now I do take Creatine, but only when I'm doing a 5 day all weight workout. I notice that it does make me feel more energetic before workouts, makes the workout easier to get through, and I feel "pumped up" longer after I work out. I have jokingly described the feeling as "ready to punch someone in the jugular at a moments notice" LOL. It, however, does not help with muscle gain. I still am gaining muscle at the same rate as I have since 2007 (which is as someone described earlier as "a spike and then a plateau").

Currently I am mainly doing elliptical, bench presses, curls and butterflies every day. In a few weeks (depending on fat loss) I will return to my 5 day weight routine. During my 5 day weight routine I alternate pushing exercises on one day and pulling the next (upper and lower body), with a break on the weekend. Sometimes I do 6 days though.
    Last edited by Incognito; 17-07-10 at 03:23 AM.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Sorry I gave away my crock pot now one thing I meant to ask was does the type of bean matter?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The recommended daily allowance of protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of weight, NOT PER POUND! Even the most generous sources say only 1 gram per kilogram of weight.

Too much protein is bad for the kidneys, can cause hypertension, cholesterol issues, constipation, hypocalcemia, and metabolic acidosis, just to name a few.

Incognito - If you are accurately measuring your protein intake (and I hope you aren't), I think you should have your kidney labs and cholesterol levels drawn, unless this is simply a temporary diet for you.
    Last edited by vashti; 18-07-10 at 08:20 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Hey mike, I also have done quite a bit of research. Looks like you're the type with a extremly HIGH metabolism. Unfortunately, this effects your ability to gain muscle as well. Just to get things rolling in the right direction your diet should be more on the higher calorie end. Not just any calories, good ones. Like proteins, complex carbs and the good fats, like those found in nuts for example. Anyways, you dont need to do the 2 hour lifting routine, really I dont see how thats possible. If you're lifting preoperly you wouldnt be able to go 2 hours really. Lift heavy and preoperly and get your diet right and you'll be on track. I'd recomment some musclemilk protein for you. It's a bit higher in calories that other protein shakes but your raging metabolism will burn the excess easily. Make sure you're using compoun weight lifting exercises also like, bench press, squating, dips, etc. Exercises that you several different muscle sets to complet the exercise. Keep in mind the protein shake is only there for you to reach you protein and calorie goals for each day. A powder could never replace real food.

Can something like this be hereditary? My father was thin but my mom not so much

Ehhh, yeah kinda. Its not really a bad thing, so dont look at it like that. It's just your body type. Its called Ectomorph body type. Master the rules of your body type and you're golden!

The recommended daily allowance of protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of weight, NOT PER POUND! Even the most generous sources say only 1 gram per kilogram of weight.

Too much protein is bad for the kidneys, can cause hypertension, cholesterol issues, constipation, hypocalcemia, and metabolic acidosis, just to name a few.

Incognito - If you are accurately measuring your protein intake (and I hope you aren't), I think you should have your kidney labs and cholesterol levels drawn, unless this is simply a temporary diet for you.
    Well I am not at all associated with the health care industry as you are, so I'll have to research that I bit more. However, all information that I have read that pertains to bodybuilding (not an everyday diet) states 1 gram per pound of body weight. I do maintain a fairly high protein intake even though I am not "body building" per-se right now. I make sure that I drink lots of water (40-60 oz) to keep my kidneys in good working order. I used to measure my protein intake because it was mostly protein powder, but now I make most of my high protein meals (as stated above). Beans contain a good amount of fiber and protein (which is why I mainly eat them through the day). If there is anything that I may be doing wrong, or that you have pointers on from a health care perspective please let us know.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast