+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Me, Her, Parents and meeting!

Me, Her, Parents and meeting!

Ok so were both 19 and I love her to death. We've been dating for about 8 months and we havent met each others parents yet...

On my side: Ive never really had anyone to call a girlfriend so my parents, throughout my whole life never really question me about having one. My parents btw are the kind that want education and work FIRST then a girlfriend so theyre kinda strict when it comes to girls. Anyways, with my strict parents I dont know how to tell them I have a girlfriend. I mean, in no way does she interfere with my school or job so there has to be something there that I can use to tell them, right?

Her side: So, she had a party a while ago and I met her mom and ever since then my girlfriend is always teased about me by her (must be a good thing). Im also friends with her younger sister and havent met her younger brother but shes told me he likes me because we share the same hobby in playing video games (nerdy, I know). With that being said, her grandma although a nice lady from what I hear doesnt want her to have a boyfriend until shes older and same with her dad. Now heres where it gets frustrating, her dad always questions her as to who I am, why is she always with me .ETC he doesnt like the fact that any guys are in her life and thats why we've been holding it off for such a long time about me and her. I have a feeling he knows we're something but I think he doesnt wanna think about it so he just questions her. I truly believe that if I can get to know her dad and introduce myself its all strawberrys and ice cream as far as the eye can see for me and her.

Now, I DO wanna meet her dad and very badly. Except I dont wanna do it out of suprise (as in seeing me in his living room, on his couch eating HIS food) but rather formally at like some get together at the beach or a bbq of somesort.

Ok, so you might be asking "why didnt they ask already? its been 8 months!" well...we havent reached a point in our relationship where we needed to tell our parents about each other until now. We both feel that if we can get our parental issues out of the way alot of stress will be off of our shoulders and we can finally move on in terms of relationship.

So my question to you guys/girls:
    How do I meet her dad? in a way that isnt a dirtbag way but a nice and welcoming way.

AND most importantly.

How do I tell my parents about her?

If you guys have any past experience with this PLEASE reply! Id really like to know your thoughts on it.

Thanks!

I dont think theres anything wrong with bumping is there?

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just be nice and respectful, but don't overtly suck up.

If you are really interested in meeting her dad, just let her know. Don't press on forward with a goal of meeting her dad, but if the opportunity arises, she will probably open up to it.

You can just casually mention that you are dating someone. But, I have to warn you, coming from personal experience... some parents, like my own, don't give a shit if your girlfriend is doing your homework for you and helping you study or anything... they may consider her a distraction from your studies. If you tell your parents, make DAMN sure that your grades are up, otherwise they may start to give you shit about it.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    All the parents sound normal, which is good.

Tell your parents "I have been dating a girl for 8 months, but I haven't told you because I know how you feel about me dating. She is really important to me, and YOU are really important to me, so I'd really like you all to meet." And then be prepared to point out that you have been successfully juggling the school with the girlfriend, and that you limit your time together, aren't seeing each other daily, etc.

I don't know that you can control the circumstances of meeting HER family unless you invite them out to dinner. But then, you would have to pay.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

@vashti
    hmm sounds good! I had a feeling about telling my parents that way too except it seems too straight up about the issue

my marks arnt soo good, but not that bad where as a girl would effect them at all. We've been thinking about a fishing trip soon and inviting her parents along too. So that takes care of that.

I still have an issue about my parents meeting her and how theyd react if i told them. Its not like she a wild girl or anything shes very presentable to my parents its just the fact they dont want a girl in my life YET.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Trust me darling, no parent LIKES it, but they have ALL considered the possibility.

Just so you understand, they are probably worried about your grades dropping while you are dating, and also when things go bad (assuming they eventually do). YOur parents aren't crazy - they just want the best for you. But they DO understand you will eventually fall in love.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?