+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Obsessive behavior @ gym

Obsessive behavior @ gym

Hi guys,

I used to be a great athlete but quit when I started college and lost interest in soccer. So after a long period of greasy food and a lazy student life I decided to kick the habit and join the local gym to work at a muscular body.
    I started last week and I'm planning to keep going 4 to 5 days a week, 90 minutes per day and it's very intensive. I've quit drinking, eat 5 meals a day and have 2 protein shakes a day. I'm willing to work hard but I'll never inject steroids to achieve my goal of being muscular. Bc it's very unhealthy.

During my first days in the gym I've noticed that there are mirrors everywhere and most guys spend half their training staring at themselves in these mirrors. They come in with tank tops and fancy sunglasses, and they walk as if they have water balloons in their trousers. It's very clear that most of them used steroids to look like they do.
    Some of them have added me on social network sites like facebook and all of them have filled their profile with half naked images of themselves. The funny thing is that they all try to make it look spontaneous (pics on the beach, @ girlfriends house, just got out of the pool..)
    In a way I pity them because they are all attention seekers but to some extent I can relate to it. I'm not sure if I would do the same if I were as big as them.

Do you think that the fact that they do this makes them obsessive and insecure beings? I think you have to be very insecure about yourself if you think you need steroids to look acceptable and feel good about yourself. And feeling the need to show everybody on internet what you look like is way over the top in my opinion, but I would be a hypocrite if I said that I wouldn't like to have recognition for the hard work

I must say that I started in the gym because I felt a bit insecure in the first place, and secondly because I get rid of emotional thoughts about relationships when I've worked out so hard that I'm too tired to worry about girls. Usually I get in there, put some heavy metal on my MP3 and lift weights until my arms are about to explode. And I feel great afterwards

After 5 days I've already been approached by someone who injects steroids. I told him I'd like to work out naturally.
    Last edited by MynameisJesus; 29-07-10 at 08:48 PM.

Well, if they've got little to offer beyond appearances it'll naturally become their focus and pride. Doesn't really bother me, it weeds out the bimbos and leaves the down-to-earth gals free to pursue, and can be a good laugh when they go so horribly over the top.

Oh, gross. Maybe you need to switch gyms.
    Spammer Spanker

It's called muscle dysmorphia. That's when people set unrealistic expectations for the amount of muscle they want and they are never satisfied, which causes them to gain more and more muscle until they look like an ape... even that might not be enough to satisfy them. Don't worry, they have issues. You're not the one with the issues.

Also, they probably have obsessive compulsive disorder (i.e. washing hands constantly to get rid of germs). They have to be "perfect." If they have one area not covered by muscle they get freaked out, it seems.

You have no idea how unhealthy it is to be too muscular. When people gain too much weight, it causes health problems.

From a biological/survival perspective, think about this: They won't be able to outrun predators because they are too heavy. When it comes down to survival of the fittest, the less heavier would survive because they would be able to outrun predators.

The concept of gaining lots of muscle is just dumb on so many levels.
    Last edited by Raze; 30-07-10 at 12:12 AM.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

As far as I know, the mirrors are necessary for weight lifting and such unless you have someone watching you so you don't make bad moves too often and **** your muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    As far as I know, the mirrors are necessary for weight lifting and such unless you have someone watching you so you don't make bad moves too often and **** your muscles.
    And for checking out the babes without them noticing.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    And for checking out the babes without them noticing.
    Damn! those guys are too smart! haha

You can achieve a great physique without any use of steroids.. I myself have never done steroids and never will do because I don't see the need for them just to get a bigger body. Now the thing about looking at yourself in the mirror is kinda hard to explain without coming off as self absorbed. The fact that the mirrors are there is so that you can check your technique when performing exercises so that you're not doing things wrong. But when you develop a muscular physique you start to find yourself looking at yourself in the mirror to see what your body looks like and what areas you think can be improved. And yes I admit to doing these things too and i'm a PT ffs! It seems to come with the territory of getting muscular unless ofcourse you find yourself glued to the mirror all day or looking at yourself in every single reflective surface you walk past, in which case it's time to seek professional help
    You never know what you've got, until it's gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Fene View Post
    You can achieve a great physique without any use of steroids.. I myself have never done steroids and never will do because I don't see the need for them just to get a bigger body. Now the thing about looking at yourself in the mirror is kinda hard to explain without coming off as self absorbed. The fact that the mirrors are there is so that you can check your technique when performing exercises so that you're not doing things wrong. But when you develop a muscular physique you start to find yourself looking at yourself in the mirror to see what your body looks like and what areas you think can be improved. And yes I admit to doing these things too and i'm a PT ffs! It seems to come with the territory of getting muscular unless ofcourse you find yourself glued to the mirror all day or looking at yourself in every single reflective surface you walk past, in which case it's time to seek professional help
    I know that steroids are not needed to achieve my goal. You need them to get huge but that is very unattractive and unhealthy. What makes muscular men attractive is that a muscular body represents hard work and dedication. It takes years of training and good nutrition to get good results.
    Mirrors help during exercises indeed but most guys are just posing after exercises. At times I like to watch too but not with so many people around
    It's their business anyway but I just find it laughable. It reminds me of some women who spend an hour in front of the mirror before they go out and take another 30 minutes to decide what to wear.
    I joined the gym last week and ran into a former buddy - soccer player who had quit ten years ago to join the local gym club.
    Meanwhile he has become a huge bodybuilder. So he added me on FB and his total profile is full of " look how big I am - pictures "
    It turns out that his girlfriend has multi - millionaire parents.. Some people just have a different view on life/happiness I think